Illegal Pitches hershey Pa

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
I agree with calling ILLEGAL pitches ... we will work to fix stuff ...
In our 7th game my DD was being called .. her toe wasn't leaving ground but the body motion kind looked like she was ... opposing pitcher foot definitely leaving ground but umps wouldn't call. Call both or neither ..
8th game ump said no leaping calls because there was a huge cavern in front of rubber .. kids tired, not a trophy level game.
Saw several pitchers airborne over the weekend ...

We will work to rectify it ASAP

Just bought Skinner's Sneaky Pitching ... so far some interesting stuff

My 11/12 plays they District Championship LL All Star game tonight.
My 13/14 "leaper" plays their first LL All Star game ... opposing team pitches one of my DD's teams TB pitchers .. they are looking forward to going head to head against each other tonight and Monday, then working together tomorrow AM ...

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
You must take into consideration, the national associations rulebook are only set in stone for national and qualifying tournaments. Tournament directors are fre to add, delete or amend ANY rule they choose to. The rulebooks are just a guide.

However, if any rule IS going to be added, deleted or changed it is appropriate to inform all teams of that before the tourney starts. As an example "For the 10u competition only, we will not enfore the replant rule". Something on those lines and probably a bad example.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
We knew that she was borderline (intermittent) ... someone got super picky one day ...
Trying to get to it ... but so little time with all the games, practices.

This is 14U ... wish they were enforcing across the board .. really my only "complaint" ..

Part of her problem is that she seems to go upward at start of motion a bit ...
working on pushing forward , not up ...
point toe down ...
Pitching a little high lately too ... not walking a bunch...control still OK ...

but more tweaking will give her more speed and better control ..

Apr 13, 2010
IMO Umpires need to start getting this right and we need a no tolerance policy. Either it's illegal or it's not. This isn't American Football or Basketball where holding and fouls are entirely subjective.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
We knew that she was borderline (intermittent) ... someone got super picky one day ...
Trying to get to it ... but so little time with all the games, practices.

This is 14U ... wish they were enforcing across the board .. really my only "complaint" ..

Don't feel bad, we had an 8U "relief" pitcher called for an IP (leaping), result ball on batter and both base runners moved up one base, recently in a tournament and unfortunately we had to pull her after one pitch! Maybe the ump (and other team who pointed it out initially) was too severe with the rules at this age but it made this pitcher immediately fix the problem (took about 1 week) and now she legally drags the pivot foot.

Moral of the story, read the sanctioning body rules you play under and teach your DDs to pitch legally when they are first starting to learn to pitch, before they have had a chance to ingrain illegal mechanics.

I like the dragging of the jump rope, or I have seen pitchers use a piece of paper or towel placed right in front of the pitching plate, so the pivot foot can drag the material away from the plate, ensuring that the foot is dragging along the ground.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Just looking at the photos, I can see why they called IP. In the game photo, based on her arm position and where the back foot is, to me it really looks like a re-plant. In the other two showing the drag marks, you can clearly see that the drag mark from the pitching plate to where the re-plant starts is very light, where after the re-plant the drag marks are very heavy.

Of course I don't claim to know anything either :)

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
One other thing. At least under ASA rules, when the pitcher takes her pre-delivery position with both feet on the pitching plate, she needs to have her hands separated before she puts the ball in the glove and starts her wind-up. My DD recently got called for this, and she used to do something similar to your DDs pre-delivery routine (i.e. walking up to the plate with the right hand on the ball already in the glove).

Apr 5, 2010
fivepotsogold

Was this at the PONY tournament in the Harrisburg ,PA. Area over July 4th weekend?

If so those umpires usually WILL NOT CALL LEAPING in the 14U division.

We had a girl pitching against us in an earlier tournament in PONY leaping every time
and they said she wasnt getting an advantage so they let it go.

It must have been a problem with the pitcher because her infielders kept on consuling her.

I walked by the home plate ump and said since you are going to leave that go than our pitcher is going to start behind the rubber and walk into the pitch.

In 14U the older girls are in High School. They need to pitch legally. It is not 10U anymore.

Also your daughter is in the air on both videos.

Good Luck getting it worked out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd