Illegal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2015
This is a pretty common "style" I see frequently. It is not illegal.

Every once in a while a girl will do this same thing but a bit too quickly... then it is an illegal pitch.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
This is a pretty common "style" I see frequently.
That's because there are not enough umpires making the illegal pitch call here. Same thing was happening in college ball, which is why they came up with the 2-second requirement. And umpires were STILL not enforcing the rule, so the NCAA changed the rule again to not allow the pitcher to take a signal until she's on the plate.

There is no way in heck that this pitcher looked at her catcher and took a signal from her before putting her hands together. There wasn't even enough time for the catcher to give a signal to her. I guarantee you if we could back the video up, you'll see that the pitcher took the sign before she stepped up to the pitcher's plate. That's perfectly acceptable (but not in NCAA play anymore), but she still has to get on the plate and keep her hands separated while looking in as if she's receiving that signal. She didn't do that.

May 29, 2015
CHSUmp ... just curious on your thoughts ... so how do we get fellow umpires to start calling it?

(My opinion: better training and make it a MAJOR point of emphasis.)

Ben

Sep 23, 2019
If she is under 20 from receipt to delivery, she’s legal. I interpreted your description as taking an additional 18 after the usual prep and primp period. She doesn’t get 20 from the first contact on the pitcher’s plate (which is how I read your post). 😋

I already said that I likely would not call it based on that video (unless it was NCAA rules which stipulate 2 seconds for the pause), but I would mention to the coach that she is getting awfully close to being called. I don’t like it, but I don’t see enough on that one to call it. Honestly, it looks to me as if she is getting the signal after her hands are together, but you can’t tell from that video.
NCAA has it right by defining pause.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
CHSUmp ... just curious on your thoughts ... so how do we get fellow umpires to start calling it?

(My opinion: better training and make it a MAJOR point of emphasis.)
MIB, in Federation play, this was a point of emphasis this year. Here's what was written in the 2019 NFHS Rule Book:

Pitcher Simulating Taking a Signal
While on the pitcher's plate and prior to bringing her hands together, the pitcher must take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher. A signal may be taken from a coach either by hand signals, verbal call, or by looking up on a wristband with a playbook/playcard. The signal obtained from the coach can be taken while on the pitching plate or while standing behind the pitcher's plate prior to taking a position on the pitcher's plate. By rule, the only requirement is that no matter where or from whom the actual signal is obtained, the pitcher must take a position on the pitcher's plate with the hands separated and simulate taking a signal from the catcher. Requiring the pitcher to take a position on the pitching plate and simulating taking a signal from the catcher prior to bring her hands together allows the batter to prepare for the start of the pitch. If the pitcher does not pause after stepping onto the pitcher's plate to simulate taking a signal from the catcher prior to bringing her hands together, an illegal pitch should be called.

But even with it being a POE, I rarely saw umpires in my association making the call. I let them know between innings that they weren't enforcing the rule, but they didn't care.

When I worked JV games as a base umpire and I saw this, I would call over the head coaches between innings and let them know they were allowing their pitchers to pitch illegally, and that the pause was required. They would tell their pitchers to make the change, and the pitchers would lose focus as they tried to comply with the rule, so they would go back to violating it. I would just let it go so that we could get the games done.

It does take training, starting early in the pre-season. It also takes umpires to do what they're supposed to do and call it. I was surprised by how many of my colleagues knew the rule, but would ignore it. Hard to fix that.

Feb 25, 2018
I think it doesn't get called where appropriate in USA games for two reasons:
1. Some umpires think the base runners advancing is overkill.
2. Some umpires don't want to deal with the coaches if they do call it.

Just my .02 from some conversations.

I'd like to see USA adopt the two second part of the rule. "Coach, I counted, one thousand and one, one thousand and two. Her hands came together at one thousand and one."

Ben

Sep 23, 2019
I think it doesn't get called where appropriate in USA games for two reasons:
1. Some umpires think the base runners advancing is overkill.
2. Some umpires don't want to deal with the coaches if they do call it.

Just my .02 from some conversations.

I'd like to see USA adopt the two second part of the rule. "Coach, I counted, one thousand and one, one thousand and two. Her hands came together at one thousand and one."
If we are umpires we need to know the rules and we need to enforce the rules. Sure there are odd rules with runners, hit by batted balls, have many results, BUT a pause needs to be enforced.

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
The purpose of the rule is to allow the batter the opportunity to get set for the pitch as the pitcher makes contact with the plate. It is not a gauge of how quickly a pitcher can receive a signal and process it.

I think this pitcher is just too quick. Nobody is going to convince me that the catcher can flash a signal that quickly to her after the pitcher steps on the plate. Let’s be realistic here and stop trying to come up with excuses not to make the illegal pitch call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Note college changed the rule for 2020 and 2021. Part of the reason college changed the rule this coming year is it almost becomes a walkthrough. Now in college at least they are required to take the sign on the mound not simulate taking the sign. The ASA rule also states the pitcher must bring their hands together after taking the sign for at least 1 second but no more than 10 seconds before delivering the pitch. I am sure NCAA and NFHS says the same. No one does this and it could be called almost every pitch in games. This is the single biggest non call in any game and probably the easiest illegal pitch for any pitcher to correct. Umps just will not call it unless it is put as a point of emphasis in the years upcoming rules by the NFHS. My advice teach your pitchers the right way(take signs from the mound) and don’t worry about everyone else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13