Illegal pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
2 second pause is out for '20-'21 NCAA seasons.

Did they feel it was redundant with the signal on the pitcher’s plate now?

Edit: looks like that was the logic.
While in the pitching position and taking the signal, the pitcher shall pause for a noticeable stop of at least two seconds to must take or simulate taking appear to take a signal. The signal need not come from the catcher. Note: The rule does not preclude the pitcher from taking an earlier signal from someone who indicates the desired pitch and/or location nor the pitcher from referring to an arm band prior to complying with Rule 10.2.2.

Rationale: To require the pitcher to take a signal while on the pitcher’s plate. Requiring the pitcher to take the signal from the pitcher’s plate has two advantages: 1) It will ensure pitchers pause on the plate while receiving the signal, and 2) It will prevent pitchers from “walking through” the pitch. Quick pitching has become an issue because signals are being taken from behind the pitcher’s plate and the pitcher is stepping on the pitcher’s plate and pitching without pausing.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
MIB, in Federation play, this was a point of emphasis this year. Here's what was written in the 2019 NFHS Rule Book:

But even with it being a POE, I rarely saw umpires in my association making the call. I let them know between innings that they weren't enforcing the rule, but they didn't care.

When I worked JV games as a base umpire and I saw this, I would call over the head coaches between innings and let them know they were allowing their pitchers to pitch illegally, and that the pause was required. They would tell their pitchers to make the change, and the pitchers would lose focus as they tried to comply with the rule, so they would go back to violating it. I would just let it go so that we could get the games done.

It does take training, starting early in the pre-season. It also takes umpires to do what they're supposed to do and call it. I was surprised by how many of my colleagues knew the rule, but would ignore it. Hard to fix that.

Oh, I know it has been a POE in the book for a while now ... I’m talking about actually emphasizing it though. As in the state associations getting off their duffs and actually rating officials. Can’t call an illegal pitch? Can’t officiate the post season.

I say that because a number of our perennial post-season old-boy-network guys are the ones I quibble with the most on illegal pitches,

Feb 25, 2018
Did they feel it was redundant with the signal on the pitcher’s plate now?

Edit: looks like that was the logic.
While in the pitching position and taking the signal, the pitcher shall pause for a noticeable stop of at least two seconds to must take or simulate taking appear to take a signal. The signal need not come from the catcher. Note: The rule does not preclude the pitcher from taking an earlier signal from someone who indicates the desired pitch and/or location nor the pitcher from referring to an arm band prior to complying with Rule 10.2.2.

Rationale: To require the pitcher to take a signal while on the pitcher’s plate. Requiring the pitcher to take the signal from the pitcher’s plate has two advantages: 1) It will ensure pitchers pause on the plate while receiving the signal, and 2) It will prevent pitchers from “walking through” the pitch. Quick pitching has become an issue because signals are being taken from behind the pitcher’s plate and the pitcher is stepping on the pitcher’s plate and pitching without pausing.

But back to how much time with the hands separated is needed to "appear to take a signal."

May 29, 2015
Yes. That’s why I don’t like dropping the very specific 2 seconds.

I guess I’m going with enough time to look in, contemplate for a moment, and then a head nod.

Coddleston, Coddleston, Coddleston Pie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA