Illegal pitch calling this year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The other thing you can do about your pitchers being called for illegal pitches is whine and complain that you didn't know the umpires were going to actually enforce the rules, and therefore you need at least year to correct your pitchers. So the umpires should stop calling them now.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
At the collegiate level, we have had it called at least once a game against us. So, probably 18+ times. However, we have yet to have it called against our opponent's pitching staff. I think this strange but that is JMHO!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
At the collegiate level, we have had it called at least once a game against us. So, probably 18+ times. However, we have yet to have it called against our opponent's pitching staff. I think this strange but that is JMHO!

Or could it be the opposing pitchers are legal. There are many pitchers that are completely legal in their delivery.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
MTR, sure it could be. Then again, I've seen illegal pitches multiple times from both teams. You know and I know that several times an illegal pitch can be called.

Jun 22, 2008
Almost any level of competitive ball it needs to be called. If you dont correct it at 10U, then you will get them pitching at 12U still illegal and the coaches will be screaming about them never being called at 10U. If you dont call it at 12U, same thing when they get to 14U. Call it and make them fix it. The sooner they fix it, the less trouble they will have in the future. The longer a pitcher does something illegal, the harder it is going to be to fix it.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Had an illegal pitch called against one of our opposing teams Saturday. I did not know what to do with myself. I had almost given up on this rule. I used to bring it up all the time in games and all we ever got was a warning and nothing was done. The pitcher would change for a few pitches and then go right back to the bad habit for the rest of the game. I am personally glad to see it called in 10U. Then again...I coach my players to not be illegal in order to facilitate good habits now rather than excuse them as youthful mistakes that may go away with time.

Dec 7, 2011
It's a double-edged sword.

As a coach ya stay silent and the educated crowd on your side gets cranky.

Make a fuss then the umpires get uncomfortable with you, for bringing up the very uncomfortable rule they would rather forget about, and then the majority not-so-educated folks in the opposition can get very upset.

I HATE the ambiguity around this rule. Either ya get the umpires to be consistent with this or ya get rid of the darn call. How many years in a row is this topic going to be a battle?.........

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Make a fuss then the umpires get uncomfortable with you, for bringing up the very uncomfortable rule they would rather forget about, and then the majority not-so-educated folks in the opposition can get very upset.

I HATE the ambiguity around this rule. Either ya get the umpires to be consistent with this or ya get rid of the darn call. How many years in a row is this topic going to be a battle?.........

When to you plan on passing away? Don't worry, that will not stop it.

There are so many issues around this that people just don't get.

To start, the umpire has a multitude of responsibilities on the field other than just staring at a pitcher's motion. The umpire has a certain place to be positioned. The umpire is, has been and probably always will be instructed that, "if you have to look for it or think about it, don't call it". The IPs that get called are those which are clearly seen by the umpire from his/her predetermined position.

The umpire cannot walk around the field, looking for a better angle to "get" a pitcher. Nor do they have cameras to replay a dozen or so times before determining something may not be right. The umpire has less time than it takes the fan to press the "REC" button on the camera to see, process and make the call.

And be honest with yourself, just how much effect brought to the game by a pitcher's pivot foot coming off the ground? When you have a coach or parent going off about what they perceived to be IPs, do you think that is going to affect the other team as much as playing head games with your own?

Umpires are going to call what they can see when they see it. And do not fool yourself into believing some of this is not taught and practiced. I've seen many a game where the pitcher is perfectly legal until a runner reaches base. Now, the BU moves toward the middle of the field where the angle to the PP is lost. All of a sudden, this pitcher is sliding the pivot foot forward off the PP, but the umpire cannot see that, so it doesn't get called and the coaches and pitchers are well aware of that. However, that doesn't stop the other team and parents from going off when they see it from wherever they decide to position themselves. Unless there is a 3rd umpire, this will never be seen unless the pitcher isn't smart enough to not make her movement evident.

Oct 19, 2009

I agree one warning and then it should be called. If you ignore one rule then which other rules should you ignore?

We faced a pitcher who crow hopped every pitch this weekend I don’t think it helped her any though, and it was never called.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi