Illegal pitch calling this year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
It's a double-edged sword.

As a coach ya stay silent and the educated crowd on your side gets cranky.

Make a fuss then the umpires get uncomfortable with you, for bringing up the very uncomfortable rule they would rather forget about, and then the majority not-so-educated folks in the opposition can get very upset.

I HATE the ambiguity around this rule. Either ya get the umpires to be consistent with this or ya get rid of the darn call. How many years in a row is this topic going to be a battle?.........

And what happens when that occurs? We saw it before, the world goes crazy and do the players, coaches or instructors catch the flack? When the THs note how ridiculous it becomes, where do they lay the blame? Hell, read the OP and see where that was headed.

I got news for you folks. Most are rude, crude and socially unacceptable when it comes to this discussion. There is so much bull thrown around, anything to divert the attention from the revered coaches to the superstar players and it all lands in one place.

JUST ONCE I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR A COACH SAY, 'YES, WE KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM AND WE ARE WORKING ON FIXING IT' as that is at least 50% closer to the truth than what most want to say or hear. But instead, it is the umpire who is doing the job s/he was instructed to do taking the flack because the coaches elect to accept responsibility for what they know to be true.

However, I agree. Call it or get rid of it, period. And when it is called, the coach needs to correct the pitcher, not whine to the umpire.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Probably stupid but I think it might be nice if there was a progression based on age level.

8U – Pitchers can do what they want, well they are not allowed to throw overhand or from 30’ but other than that let um go.
10U – No stepping back of the plate, stay in your lane, no replant
12U – No crow hop
14U – Umpire enforces all the rules

Something like the above makes sense to me. Killer is when in the middle of the season an individual umpire decides to start calling something.

For younger ages even a pitchers get a warning for the 1st half of the year, 2nd half of the year all the rules will be enforced. IDK, it annoys me a little bit that our League never calls illegal pitches.

If DD pitches illegally I want her called, it is easier to correct her now then in a couple years.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I was at at softball tournament last fall and in between our games I was propped up on the fence on the first base side. In between innings the umpire struck up a conversation with me, nice fellow. I noticed that the pitcher was doing something illegal (I forget what it was but it was obvious) and asked him why he or his partner was not calling it. His answer was that they do not call it at this age (12u). I just said "Next tournament". I think he got the message because after the game he talked to her coach and showed him what she was doing illegally.

I'm glad he waited til after the game because it could have been a first year 12u player and could have been detrimental to her if he called it during the game. But come spring time, if I was the umpire, I would call it every time. It is easier to learn the correct way than trying to correct the wrong way.

May 14, 2008
Would it be possible for someone to show video along with an exact explanation of exactly what is illegal about these pitches?
Thanks

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm glad he waited til after the game because it could have been a first year 12u player and could have been detrimental to her if he called it during the game.

Warnings to players can be tricky, it gets in their heads and can mess them all up. You do not want the Ump to coach the Team, nor does the ump want to, quite word to the Manager or coach is the best way to go if the umpire is willing to do it.

Jun 22, 2008
The last time I tried to "warn" a coach about a pitcher being illegal, actually both of his pitchers doing the same thing, "this isnt their first rodeo you know, they have both pitched a game or two in their lives."

Jan 20, 2010
I look at it like this....yes some girls pitch illegal.....Is it going to get called???? Most of the time not so much. I see more umpires talking to girls for not having both feet on the pitching plate at the time they get the sign, or not properly presenting the ball then I do a confrence for an illegal pitch. Which one has more effect on the game????? We all know the answer it is an illegal pitch....Me....I teach my girls how to hit, I don't have a DD that pitches and can not control the team I play. I got other things to worry about during a game than if a girl has a replant or crow hop. That is only my personal perspective. Is it right to pitch illegal....No, I would not allow my girls to do it.....does it happen with other team.....U bet it does.

Oct 19, 2009
It's a double-edged sword.

As a coach ya stay silent and the educated crowd on your side gets cranky.

Make a fuss then the umpires get uncomfortable with you, for bringing up the very uncomfortable rule they would rather forget about, and then the majority not-so-educated folks in the opposition can get very upset.

I HATE the ambiguity around this rule. Either ya get the umpires to be consistent with this or ya get rid of the darn call. How many years in a row is this topic going to be a battle?.........

This is SO true. And the last thing you want is for your young team to hear about it and get it in their heads that the opposing pitcher is cheating and getting away with it. Once that happens, it's game over.

Every time I have called this to the attention of an umpire it's backfired. Any more I just let it go and keep our kids focused on hitting. It does suck that there is no consistent enforcement. That's why on another thread I said I would be in favor of legalizing everything.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
FL
U trip sent a video to all the HS Umps a few weeks ago showing the replant and crow hop. I think they viewed it on Thursday. On Friday, 40 illegal pitches called between both pitchers. The umps said the girls were pushing off again once their drag foot come behind their plant foot? They were actually zoned in on the pitchers feet the whole game. Next week, maybe 8 illegal pitches and I really didn't see any change. Just seems curious how the numbers went down so fast knowing the girls did not change a thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi