Illegal pitch without verbal call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Tangent question ... as I said above, I know my mechanic is technically incorrect. Can anybody explain to me the benefit of yelling "ILLEGAL!" as the pitcher is pitching? I only see the downside on that.

Since it is a delayed-dead ball, I don't think waiting for a play to complete and then going "Oh btw, there was an illegal pitch' is going to be well received.

I am good with the mechanic saying that I need to let everyone know as it happens than trying to explain it after a play - especially if the play ended up in a strikeout or a line-drive with runners going everywhere. Also, I don't have to run around with my arm extended with people wondering why.

Also since it is an option play, if they know there is an illegal pitch, offensive coaches can coach for it. So the same for an infield fly.

That is my best guess anyway.

Aug 21, 2008
Isnt yelling on infield fly rule similar oddness, while players are active?!

That's a very good point RAD. Personally, I think it's a bit different yelling "infield fly" when a ball is 100 feet in the air vs. startling a pitcher throwing 60mph who could let one go at someone's head. However, I see your overall point.

May 29, 2015
Isnt yelling on infield fly rule similar oddness, while players are active?!

I view an infield fly differently ... but before I say this, let me re-emphasize that the verbal is NOT necessary for the rule to apply ...

That said, the proper verbal call on an infield fly gives players information they need to continue playing on a live ball that will remain live.

With an illegal pitch, like an obstruction, it is a delayed dead ball. That means play on until action stops. If I yell "ILLEGAL" in the middle of the delivery (which we would punish a coach or player for), the pitcher is more likely to stop in mid-delivery OR it is not unreasonable to believe that the batter would hit the ball and the defense would not react because they mistakenly thought I was killing the play. I don't see any upside to the information ("ILLEGAL") in mid-pitch. There is no adjustment to be made.

Or maybe I am over-thinking it. ;)

May 29, 2015
Since it is a delayed-dead ball, I don't think waiting for a play to complete and then going "Oh btw, there was an illegal pitch' is going to be well received.

I am good with the mechanic saying that I need to let everyone know as it happens than trying to explain it after a play - especially if the play ended up in a strikeout or a line-drive with runners going everywhere. Also, I don't have to run around with my arm extended with people wondering why.

Also since it is an option play, if they know there is an illegal pitch, offensive coaches can coach for it. So the same for an infield fly.

That is my best guess anyway.

Valid point @marriard , however I've never had an issue with it -- as long as I am giving the physical signal when at the moment of violation. It's not much different than calling it from the bases. More often than not, the plate umpire does not hear or see the base umpire and the BU has to come in to offer the PU the correction. Like I said, I just see more downside than upside.

Never run around with your arm out ... but you know that! :p

We touched on the infield fly above ... infield fly stays live, so I understand yelling in the middle of it. An illegal pitch does not remain live, so it is very easy to sort it out afterwards. The fraction of a second between delivery and the catcher catching the ball won't change anything (IMO).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We touched on the infield fly above ... infield fly stays live, so I understand yelling in the middle of it. An illegal pitch does not remain live, so it is very easy to sort it out afterwards. The fraction of a second between delivery and the catcher catching the ball won't change anything (IMO).

Illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball so it is live. If they get a hit they can take the result of the play.

May 29, 2015
Illegal pitch is a delayed dead ball so it is live. If they get a hit they can take the result of the play.

Right ... that is my point and that furthers my concern that yelling in the middle of the pitch is more detrimental than beneficial. If the batter hits it, players are more likely to react differently if I yelled something mid-pitch.

Not yelling does not change the reaction or how/what a coach would do. The signal indicates it was seen and the penalty will be assessed afterwards.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Right ... that is my point and that furthers my concern that yelling in the middle of the pitch is more detrimental than beneficial. If the batter hits it, players are more likely to react differently if I yelled something mid-pitch.

Not yelling does not change the reaction or how/what a coach would do. The signal indicates it was seen and the penalty will be assessed afterwards.
Agree

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
USSSA Wording Below:
"If an illegal pitch occurs but the pitch is not released, it is a dead ball.If the pitch is released, the umpire calls “illegal” loud enough nearby players to hear. Simultaneously, the Umpire gives the delayed dead-ball signal and waits to suspend play until the play has been completed. Failure of players to hear the call shall not void the call. "

Since the discussion is about how the jarring "illegal" call could affect the action, I'm looking at "nearby players." You can make an argument the only players who qualify are the catcher and the batter. There's really no need for an umpire to yell loudly enough even for the pitcher to hear it. Seems like just making a call loud enough for the catcher and batter alerts both teams, including the player who needs to know the most in that moment (the batter).

May 29, 2015
Since the discussion is about how the jarring "illegal" call could affect the action, I'm looking at "nearby players." You can make an argument the only players who qualify are the catcher and the batter. There's really no need for an umpire to yell loudly enough even for the pitcher to hear it. Seems like just making a call loud enough for the catcher and batter alerts both teams, including the player who needs to know the most in that moment (the batter).

Unless I call it from the bases ... 🙂

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma