Illegal..........I give up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

58sdad

Only Slightly OCD..
Mar 28, 2013
Upstate NY
Leaping doesn't really bother me too much as it doesn't create much of an advantage.. The one that irks me to no end and NEVER gets called is the girl who starts with her stride foot not touching the PP.. We have one girl in our area who is notorious for digging a hole behind the PP so the PU can't see that her foot is creeping farther and farther back as the game goes on.. by the 3rd or 4th inning she starts with her stride foot a solid 6-10" behind the PP.. This gives her a solid advantage in getting much more leg drive than if she had both feet on the PP..

Bring it up to the Base Ump and usually you get a 'I'm not going to call that' response.. well why is it in the rulebook if it's not going to be enforced.. The advantage this girl gets is anough to turn her from 'pretty good' to dominant.. I'd say it tacks on an extra 3-5 mph.. She's done it for years and is now 16U and nothing has changed.. it's very frustrating to those who do follow the rules to see someone who doesn't AND reaps the benefits of IPs.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
10.4.4 No leaping is allowed. The pitcher may not become airborne on the initial drive from the pitcher’s plate. The pivot foot must slide/drag on the ground.
10.8 Illegal Pitch
An illegal pitch is a pitch that is thrown by the pitcher that is in violation of the pitching rules or is an effect for a rule violation. When an illegal pitch occurs, it shall be called immediately by the plate or base umpire.

It doesn't matter if it's an advantage or disadvantage, by the rules of the game it's illegal.

We were in a game a couple of years ago down in MS. This was a state champ game, the fields were dragged and no holes around the PP. I knew the opposing pitcher was a leaper from playing her in the past. Sure enough she was airborne from the first pitch. My first batter struck out looking so I called time and approached the ump.

Me: Mr. Blue, are you going to address her leaping.
Ump: No, because I can't really prove she's doing it and it's an opinion call.
Me: My last batter struck out looking, can you prove to me that was a strike.......or was that just you're opinion?

Sometimes I feel these umps believe we are asking them to break a rule, as oppose to us just simply asking them to enforce one.

We've got our first college pre-season games starting Sunday, guess I'll see if anything is different at the next level. Should I hold my breath? :)

Dec 7, 2011
We've got our first college pre-season games starting Sunday, guess I'll see if anything is different at the next level. Should I hold my breath? :)

I know yer probably being facetious but just in case (I am one of the most gullible people on earth):

I think this is my most recent "IP wall of shame", focusing on crow-hopping but will note a leap if it's there too. I accumulated this through the last half of the D1 college tv I could find:

1. Indiana Betcher (amazingly bad & allowed - allowed all the time at home games that is.....)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOw8w16nSqE
2. UCLA Carda
3. WI McIntosh
4. AZ Bowling (leaps too to boot)
5. MI Goranson
6. Lville Lacoq
7. S Fla Nevins (really bad)

This is just a small sampling. So the problem is rampant in college too.
Therefore my sarcastic comment that fixing this is like boiling the ocean :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I know yer probably being facetious but just in case (I am one of the most gullible people on earth):

I think this is my most recent "IP wall of shame", focusing on crow-hopping but will note a leap if it's there too. I accumulated this through the last half of the D1 college tv I could find:

1. Indiana Betcher (amazingly bad & allowed - allowed all the time at home games that is.....)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOw8w16nSqE
2. UCLA Carda
3. WI McIntosh
4. AZ Bowling (leaps too to boot)
5. MI Goranson
6. Lville Lacoq
7. S Fla Nevins (really bad)

This is just a small sampling. So the problem is rampant in college too.
Therefore my sarcastic comment that fixing this is like boiling the ocean :)

That's pretty painful to watch.

Apr 15, 2010
No kidding. I've been following the other thread on the forum about the Indiana coach being investigated for going on a rant and telling her team that they suck. My initial reaction was that the coach was out of line. I must admit, though, after watching that video....

Paraphrasing what Chris Rock said about OJ - "I'm not saying it was OK, but I understand".

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I do agree with the sentiment of watch the pitcher warm-up pre-game, and if there is just-cause, the ump should maybe say something to *the coach* (not the pitcher), and let them react however they decide to.

If there is an illegal delivery - CALL IT EARLY (or live with it).
It's almost cruel to allow a pitcher to carry on most of a game, in naive bliss; and then eventually cave-in to the incessant squawking from the opposing dugout and start calling her illegal in the 5th...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1