If your team could only play 1...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
Would you rather play the Usa Elite Select World Championships in KC, or the ASA Nationals in Salem, VA? This is for a 12u team. Which do you think will have the better competition this year?

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I don't know about the asa comp but I do know that the usssa comp in KC is pretty good-lots legit A level teams. And that USSSA puts on one hell of a show. They spare no expense for their big events in KC-MSP runs them. Its always the best umpiring too-I see lots of guys who do college games come out for the summer events that MSP does.

My opinion for 12u depends on if one is much closer than the other.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2014
What KCPRK said. USSSA is stronger than ASA in KC, at least until 14U in my opinion. I'm not familiar with Salem but there's quite a bit to do in KC. If you want to see the Royals you'll have to come in on the 10th, last game before the break. There's also Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun amusement park, Schlitterbahn water park with the crazy *ss waterslide, lots of museums including the Negro League museum, and the Barbecue!! Always good to be able to tell families what a sweet vacation spot it is��

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Will be interesting to see how well USA Elite does hosting an A-level nationals this year. I would imagine they will roll out the red carpet to make sure teams have an enjoyable experience and KC seems like a fun city to visit. My DD played 16U ASA Nationals in Salem, VA two years ago, and it was OK, but nothing to write home about. We stayed in Blacksburg and played a couple of exhibition games in the VA Tech stadium which was the highlight of the trip. Opening ceremonies were in a minor league baseball stadium and after the ceremonies there was a baseball game, which was pretty cool.

Do logistics play into the decision? If you can drive to one, but the other one requires air travel, that can weigh heavily into the decision. At 12U recruiting is not a major concern, so I would suggest going to the one that will be the most fun. Opening ceremonies and the pin exchange are also big at 12U, but have lost their lust by 16U.

Speaking of fun, the best nationals we have ever attended was USFA Nationals in PCB, FL. The competition was not as stout as you will find at ASA or USA Elite, but it was hard to beat being on the beach. We would play softball in the morning and be on the beach or on the strip in the afternoon having fun. All of the family wanted to attend and it was truly a vacation. When you tell the spouse, siblings, grandparents and cousins that you are going to Normal, IL or Salem, VA no one gets excited and asks if they can come too, but a condo on the beach in PCB had them coming out of the woodwork! I have never been to USSSA in Orlando, but have heard it is a lot of fun as well.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Would you rather play the Usa Elite Select World Championships in KC, or the ASA Nationals in Salem, VA? This is for a 12u team. Which do you think will have the better competition this year?

We are playing both this year. Some of the teams playing in KC will go the PGF route and others ASA. I think the overall competition will be better in KC because you will have a mix of the top teams that qualify for both. We have played a lot of the teams that will be there and none of them are push overs.

Where is your team out of? That could also be a difference maker.

Aug 20, 2013
We are out of Florida, so Virginia is the easiest trio and the one we are currently scheduled for. I'm not sure it's set in stone yet because there's still some discussions going on about KC. It'd be nice to do both, but we're definitely not prepared for the cost of travelling to both. Ultimately, I think the team would want to play the tougher competition to see where we stack up.

JAD, we've done Orlando and PCB the last 2 years with different teams. Both we're fun experiences.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
We are out of Florida, so Virginia is the easiest trio and the one we are currently scheduled for. I'm not sure it's set in stone yet because there's still some discussions going on about KC. It'd be nice to do both, but we're definitely not prepared for the cost of travelling to both. Ultimately, I think the team would want to play the tougher competition to see where we stack up.

JAD, we've done Orlando and PCB the last 2 years with different teams. Both we're fun experiences.

If yall want to see some of the teams that will be in KC but not Salem you can make the trip to Atlanta at the end of June. The Legacy Showcase is holding a prospects event for 12u and last season there were some very good teams there.

Aug 20, 2013
If yall want to see some of the teams that will be in KC but not Salem you can make the trip to Atlanta at the end of June. The Legacy Showcase is holding a prospects event for 12u and last season there were some very good teams there.

We are scheduled for Legacy as well as the Georgia Oaks tournament. I think we'll see a few of the teams next month in Gainesville as well.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

When you go ASA, USA Elite, PGF or JO Cup it is all about softball, and not about vacation. Since you are from FL I understand the desire to go somewhere else for Nationals, but some day you will look back and miss the "good ole days" of Orlando and PCB!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We are scheduled for Legacy as well as the Georgia Oaks tournament. I think we'll see a few of the teams next month in Gainesville as well.

How many out of state tournaments are y'all playing? Maybe it is just me, but more than a one or two seems crazy to me at 12U.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs