If you can't hide stupid, can you fix it (more important, how is DD's piitching?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 27, 2015
Although I have nothing to prove it, I wonder if an 80 degree plant puts more stress on the leg than something around 45?

My DD had developed leg pains planting this way. These went away when she started to plant with her toe pointing almost at the catcher.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
I'll throw this observation out and feel free to shoot holes in it. Before my two cents worth, I think it's great to get a video and look at an older more advanced pitcher. If you look at the front view that Ken put up, check the position of the belt loop in frame which is at the toe touch position then look at frame 9, check the belt loop position. To me it looks as if her hips are more open(slightly) at this point. Shouldn't we be wanting the hips to be more at a 45 degree angle as a result of a little more hip snap to the throwing angles ala getting to the four points of resistance that Rick P speaks of? To me I would think she would benefit from turning the knee over a bit more and driving it down and toward third base line to get to position of stacking the knee, hip and shoulder at whip/release. Going back to her wind up it's really hard for me to tell how the overlap, push of the drive foot and swing of the stride leg are or are not timing properly since she doesn't have a back swing. Java would decipher this immediately. If she not timed properly there its causing her her hips getting too open dragging her drive foot behind her which you can she in frame 7 pointing back toward shortstop. Thoughts?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
My theory is that these drive issues are inter-related, and her biggest focus right now should addressing the sprint position at initial drive, driving her stride knee directly forward, and better managing resistance upon planting her front foot.

I really like what the 2 Step sequence does for the overall motion and would suggest giving it a try. Hoping JS finds a few free moments to stop by and share his thoughts on this.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
You want a pitcher to firm up the core just prior to release, but she seems to have an overly tense (firmed up) core and neck long before she should, in my opinion.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
You want a pitcher to firm up the core just prior to release, but she seems to have an overly tense (firmed up) core and neck long before she should, in my opinion.

I think you're right. We've talked about how she seems to be trying to force herself to relax. We sometimes break from actual "pitching" to just play catch underhand. She seems much more relaxed then, but ends up tight again shortly after returning to the rubber. Haven't figured out the solution to this yet. I wonder if this one is a mental training issue. Her PC has addressed this, and until the last few months she was pushing the ball to release, not whipping at all.

Aug 18, 2013
Just a couple of observations. Grains of salt :)

She doesnt get off the plate until just before 12 and at that point she is starting to come down with the stride leg. Less push from the plate and mostly drag. Check the marks her push foot makes and compare it to the Amanda Scarborough slo-mo.

Since there is no backswing she needs to delay... delay... delay starting the arm. My guess is that she feels that since her body is moving the arm has to start.

She gets down in a good sprinter stance, but to me looks like she is flat footed and there is no momentum being created. What does she look like doing walk throughs??

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
I'll throw this observation out and feel free to shoot holes in it. Before my two cents worth, I think it's great to get a video and look at an older more advanced pitcher. If you look at the front view that Ken put up, check the position of the belt loop in frame which is at the toe touch position then look at frame 9, check the belt loop position. To me it looks as if her hips are more open(slightly) at this point. Shouldn't we be wanting the hips to be more at a 45 degree angle as a result of a little more hip snap to the throwing angles ala getting to the four points of resistance that Rick P speaks of? To me I would think she would benefit from turning the knee over a bit more and driving it down and toward third base line to get to position of stacking the knee, hip and shoulder at whip/release. Going back to her wind up it's really hard for me to tell how the overlap, push of the drive foot and swing of the stride leg are or are not timing properly since she doesn't have a back swing. Java would decipher this immediately. If she not timed properly there its causing her her hips getting too open dragging her drive foot behind her which you can she in frame 7 pointing back toward shortstop. Thoughts?

Your point here really has my attention. DD's PC has worked with her to create space through proper posture, allowing her to get her elbow just ahead of the hip so the hip follows the elbow through into closing. This is the concept that started this exploration for me over the past couple of days. We have a lesson tomorrow, and I can't wait to discuss this with him.

After watching the vids JavaSource posted on YouTube, especially about the two-step drill, I've had the same question about her wind up and timing of the different elements. DD moved to this wind up because her during her backswing, her pitching arm moved so far behind her to her left that it twisted her whole body about 30 degrees. The slight right-ish position of her legs coming off the rubber is leftover from that issue.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think you're right. We've talked about how she seems to be trying to force herself to relax. We sometimes break from actual "pitching" to just play catch underhand. She seems much more relaxed then, but ends up tight again shortly after returning to the rubber. Haven't figured out the solution to this yet. I wonder if this one is a mental training issue. Her PC has addressed this, and until the last few months she was pushing the ball to release, not whipping at all.

I'm biased about this, but I really like the walk-in for this very reason, not the juiced up walk-in, just a more relaxed one where she only firms the core just prior to release. Hard to walk with an overly firm core and neck/head.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
She doesnt get off the plate until just before 12 and at that point she is starting to come down with the stride leg. Less push from the plate and mostly drag. Check the marks her push foot makes and compare it to the Amanda Scarborough slo-mo.

I believe you're on to something here. I noted in one of my earlier posts that she eliminated her back swing because she was allowing it to change her body's angle to the plate. Maybe it's time to try it again, or maybe move to the side with it, a la Hillhouse. It is hard to gauge some of the timing right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi