If a ChangeUp is the second pitch every budding young pitcher learns...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
A reasonable theory: the ChangeUp serves as a 'placeholder" pitch, until more "effective" (debatable) pitches can be taught.

But there are some holes:
1. A true, backspinning riseball can be effective at as little as 50mph, with sufficient revs (25-30rps).
2. Likewise, a Dropball, at even 45mph with sufficient 12-6 revs (~15-18rps) will "move".

A curve is a little tougher to realize success with low mph.

But my point is: if we don't value the Change in 18U level pitching, then why not teach our young pitchers to spin the ball *properly* for a Drop and Rise at young ages?

I am a BIG proponent of the Change, but one thing that I think is lost on young pitchers is learning to SPIN the ball, and learning to spin it DIFFERENTLY for a few different pitches. We tend to focus upon mph at the expense of spin rate and/or axis. And I think that is why we see so many 1-dimensional, hard-throwing pitchers at the 18U level.
Well most 9/10 YO cannot throw 45 mph and I have no idea at what age they can spin it at those revolutions but I get your point. I am not disagreeing necessarily that there is a better way of doing things, only trying to explain why things are done as they are. Ultimately the answer may just be (outside of the effectiveness argument against a particular team) that saying somebody has a nasty riseball is sexier than saying somebody has a nasty CU... 🤷‍♂️

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Really depends on the pitcher and there are all kinds. If you can throw gas past every batter, there is no reason to show them a change. Why slow the ball down to let them catch up to it? Doesn't mean they don't have a CU. Just isn't a reason to throw it.

This CoachThink is prevalent - and incorrect.
A well-placed Change OUTSIDE of the strikezone (in the dirt, usually) will produce LOTS of swings/misses for a "flamethrower".
Keeping the Change in rthe back of the Batter's minds, only makes your "gas" that much perceptually faster.
Even Ueno throws a Change....

Jun 8, 2016
Lol. It's sexier saying that than telling the truth and calling it a high fastball. Fastpitchology
I don't disagree that one should probably treat a high rise as a high fastball in terms of how you approach it. That said while a riseball doesn't actually rise above the initial straight line trajectory (at least at the speeds/revs female fastpitch pitchers can produce) it does have a different trajectory than a fastball.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I don't disagree that one should probably treat a high rise as a high fastball in terms of how you approach it. That said while a riseball doesn't actually rise above the initial straight line trajectory it does have a different trajectory than a fastball.

you misunderstood. True riseballs are somewhat "unicorn-like".

MOST pitchers that think they "have" a riseball, are simply throwing fastballs (with some sort of "bullet" spin axis) high in the zone.

Jun 8, 2016
you misunderstood. True riseballs are somewhat "unicorn-like".

MOST pitchers that think they "have" a riseball, are simply throwing fastballs high in the zone.
Shame on me, a wiseass should be able to recognize another wiseass :LOL:

Jun 26, 2020
I don't disagree that one should probably treat a high rise as a high fastball in terms of how you approach it. That said while a riseball doesn't actually rise above the initial straight line trajectory (at least at the speeds/revs female fastpitch pitchers can produce) it does have a different trajectory than a fastball.
What's the difference in trajectory?

Jun 8, 2016
What's the difference in trajectory?
It will have a bit more upwards force acting on it (due to the spin) counteracting gravity so it's final location will be a bit higher than a fastball (but not higher than where it would be if it just followed it's initial straight line trajectory..)

Jun 26, 2020
It will have a bit more upwards force acting on it (due to the spin) counteracting gravity so it's final location will be a bit higher than a fastball (but not higher than where it would be if it just followed it's initial straight line trajectory..)
Caught thousands and never noticed

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar