If a ChangeUp is the second pitch every budding young pitcher learns...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
Some pitchers just don't throw it well much like some pitchers can't throw a drop or curve well. When I say they can't throw it well I mean they can't throw it for a strike on command.

May 23, 2015
Why? Pitching coaches sell I taught your daughter 5 pitches instead of I taught your daughter 1 pitch and she's mastered it. Second reason is the person sitting on the bucket has literally no clue what they're doing in the great majority of cases.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
When I say they can't throw it well I mean they can't throw it for a strike on command.

there are lots of criteria for throwing a ChangeUp well:
1. ~10%-12% speed difference
2. Decent revs (> 12-15rps minimum)
3. Same arm speed as fastball.
4. Same pre-motion and release point as fastball
5. Location command

Bonus:
1. Movement!

I think a lot of young pitchers, bucket dads, and/or coaches take the bait and teach a "flip change" because it is initially easy to comprehend and throw, but in the long run it is a very "feel based" pitch to throw at a high level, and most pitchers never master this technique. (How many flip changes do you see at the collegiate level? for example....) So at some point, most pitchers just abandon it.

But an 18U pitcher with a masterful changeup is just as rare and effective as an 18U pitcher with a masterful (true) riseball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Not necessary to be able to throw a change up for a strike for it to be a fantastic pitch to use.
Bounce it in the dirt, on the plate, to the sides.

In 18's going to doubt pitchers dont have one in the tool box.
Would consider whomever is calling pitches doesnt recognize the importance of mixing in off speed. Unless there always utilizing off speed curves and/or drops?!

See plenty of pitchers throwing change at all age levels.
Dont see plenty of coaches calling great sequences without using the change/off speeds.

Last edited:
May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
That doesn't even make sense. If you can't throw your change-up for a strike we tell our batters not to swing at it. End of story.

We see a LOT of teams, who are coached to NEVER swing at a ChangeUp with less than 2K's.
If you can throw it for a strike, you can get up on a batter 0-2! lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee