I/R vs. chicken wing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BLB

May 19, 2008
Hello Elbow???

I thought I knew what people meant by the term "hello elbow" but I guess I don't. I've seen young pitchers having been taught to have an extreme bend in the elbow after release, regardless of the amount of elbow follow-through. Because of this extreme bend, the hand ends up very close to the throwing shoulder. Also, they are instructed to have the palm of their hand facing their throwing shoulder or face. Some stop their elbow at their side using a sudden stop of any forward motion of their upper arm (no elbow follow-through). Some bring their elbow up, some as much as shoulder height. From what I've seen, this extreme elbow bend and hand going towards the pitching shoulder has nothing to do with elbow height on the follow-through. It all depends on the individual. It is often very difficult to change/correct such mechanics. A lot of elite male pitchers end up with their elbow close to or at shoulder height with a bent elbow close to 90 deg. Their pitching arm/hand does not go across the body towards their glove shoulder. It stays on the pitching plane after release. Because of the nature of arm whip (ir), the hand orientation on the follow-through is inward. My question is: What do people mean by hello elbow? And why does having the palm of the hand towards the face on the follow-through, regardless of the amount of elbow bend, represent hello elbow? Just curious about the term.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Hello Elbow sort of as implied, upon release you force the follow through straight up to throwing shoulder with palm facing you as if waiving hello.

A pc I took daughter to, highly decorated DIII pitcher was taught hello elbow and tore the tricep from the bone using this method in HS. She obviously does not teach it Think of the force involved and strain on muscles when you force an unnatural movement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes