I/R - always missing right

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2015
I've read through the pitching stickies and have tried my best to help my 10u DD start pitching. The only nearby pitching coaches teach HE, but my DD is naturally more of an IR pitcher. We've been working on just playing underhanded catch along with pitching, but in both cases she misses right 9 out of 10 times. It has great spin and is honestly faster than I ever thought she'd be able to throw at this point, but that doesn't matter is she's hitting batters every pitch! We've tried reinforcing the brush, but it doesn't seem to fix it. What can we do to fix the right miss? Thanks.

Mar 28, 2013
Both my DDs when throwing their first few warm up pitch leave them right, To move them over I /or the catcher sets up way outside and makes them hit that, Once they can we bring them back into the zone and they are good to go. Assuming her Mechanics and footwork and balance are close Its just a matter of wiping HE out of muscle memory and getting her to trust the whip. What I would do is practice throwing 3-4 balls outside until she can consistently hit that. Once she acclimates to trusting the whips you can slowly bring her back around the zone. Doug Gillis thought me that years ago , If you want a result over exaggerate the location you want then move back to it. Screwballitis is common in my experience with young pitcher making them selves familiar with IR.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Congrats on reaching the first signpost on the road to good pitching. The low right miss is the hallmark of a kid catching a whip-Celebrate it!

As for teaching her left right control, what Bucket Pinata says is right on. Over exaggerate it to get the feel and adjust from the other side in not the inside out.

Apr 17, 2015
Great advice- thanks. I am encouraged by the low right miss. It's hard to teach something I don't fully understand myself just yet, and no one locally has a clue what I'm talking about. I just don't want to give in and go the HE route just to get strikes early on.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Great advice- thanks. I am encouraged by the low right miss. It's hard to teach something I don't fully understand myself just yet, and no one locally has a clue what I'm talking about. I just don't want to give in and go the HE route just to get strikes early on.

Good choice.....it is worth it in the long run. Good luck.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Is she getting close to a 45°angle at release? Because it's common to miss inside if she's releasing he ball while too open.

Secondly, is she allowing her elbow to fully extend? This is a common forced I/R move, and will push the ball in on righties.

Lastly, be sure her elbow is tight to her ribs and her forearm is lightly brushing the front of the back thigh as she passes through the hips

Apr 17, 2015
I do think she is forcing some of the motions. I'm going to try doing the overhand/underhand drill I just read about in a different thread to help her remember to stay loose. I also think she's striving to be as open as possible. I'm a little confused on that point after reading seemingly different opinions on being open/closed. We'll try 45* and see what that does.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
If she's making a point to stay completely open, then that's most likley the problem. Get 100% sideways at 12:00, and only close the hips and shoulders no more than 45°, bringing the knees together after release.

Apr 17, 2015
That certainly makes better sense to me! I'm either going to have a great pitcher, or the most confused little girl on the planet!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06