I dont believe anyone.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
I expand that to only teaching players on my team. A few others on exception.

Does your daughter throw a curve? if so how does she effectively get curve spin?

A pitcher on our team has a curve where she steps off the powerline to her right and fires it to the opposite side of the plate. I asked her to show me her grip and release and what she showed me would spin the ball the exact opposite way you would want for a curve, (screw). It would be akin to throwing a ball completely side arm. I explained the magnus effect to her and got a priceless look. Good news is she is primarily a screw ball pitcher and at age 15 someone finally told her how balls actually break. Another product of mass produced pitching.

Seriously, how does a windmill pitcher put on curve ball spin?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Steve, is Ernie still giving lessons in Memphis? ( where we live ) I use to see and converse with him at local games but did not see him at all late last year? Someone said he had switched to a facility in Mississippi, about 20 south of Memphis, but not confirmed.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Mike my DD is a lefty. So her screw is your RH pitchers curve. Mine throws a drop screw, not many do. But you will see lots of drop curves.

Where the seams are closest on the ball. Middle finger and ring finger rest on the outside of the seams ( seams on her left side / fingers on the right side ) turn the knob with the middle finger supplying most of the pressure down and around to create a 4 to 10 clock rotation.

But remember my example is for LH. Just opposite for RH. There are different screw/curve grips, this is just what works best for mine through trial and error.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2008
Steve,
The entire fingers end up pointed over the top of the ball and the last digit touching the ball is the pinky.

I am going through that in slo mo and it seems if that was possible my hand would block the ball and fall straight to the ground, haha.

Does the ball, KIND OF, come out of the back of the hand?

So it literally is like "turning a door knob",

Isnt the ball long gone before any of this can have an effect on ball spin? I am not trying to argue I am trying to understand the teaching points.

I hate the angle of the first video but by the time her hand rolls over, the ball seems well on its way........the fingers peeling up on the ball created the spin........the forward lean and slightly early release and roll over follow through seem to impart a more downward angle...................Angle, magnus effect and gravity work together to make the ball drop quicker than normal.

Peel is thrown faster and speed works against gravity and magnus effect, the only thing you can really tweek is the angle of the peel.

With a "roll over" you also have a change up and a breaking pitch all in one.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2008
Thaks goingdeep, same grip and principle would apply for a rh hander.....only it would be 2-8 spin.

Sparky guy, I have watched some curve ball pitchers...(small sample size) and do not see curve ball spin. How would you teach it?

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, if you watch slow motion video of a rollover drop, the ball exits the hand before the hand makes its downward movement.

Nov 29, 2009
Thaks goingdeep, same grip and principle would apply for a rh hander.....only it would be 2-8 spin.

Sparky guy, I have watched some curve ball pitchers...(small sample size) and do not see curve ball spin. How would you teach it?

I teach the drop curve with the pitcher cradling the ball in the palm of the hand with the finger tips up pushing on the seams. I teach them to have the arm really close to the body and to snap the wrist towards the catcher. I make sure they are not slinging the ball sideways. The pinky leads the way through the snap. For a RH pitcher I have them work on spinning the ball on a 2 - 8 axis to start with and then adjust from there depending on the girl. I make sure they are getting fully to their power line with their hips on time so they get open in time for the arm to have a clear path through the release zone.

After that I make adjustments as needed by each girl.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I expand that to only teaching players on my team. A few others on exception.

Does your daughter throw a curve? if so how does she effectively get curve spin?

A pitcher on our team has a curve where she steps off the powerline to her right and fires it to the opposite side of the plate. I asked her to show me her grip and release and what she showed me would spin the ball the exact opposite way you would want for a curve, (screw). It would be akin to throwing a ball completely side arm. I explained the magnus effect to her and got a priceless look. Good news is she is primarily a screw ball pitcher and at age 15 someone finally told her how balls actually break. Another product of mass produced pitching.

Seriously, how does a windmill pitcher put on curve ball spin?

Over the top rotation 04:30 to 10:30 spin from the view of the pitcher. Same as a typical slider in baseball. If a rise-ball is 12-6 (perfect) and typically about 10:30 to 04:30, then the opposite over the top would be? Breaking down and in on a LH batter, down and away RH batter. Halfway between a curve and a drop, or similar to a slider. A curve ball rotation as in baseball would be a drop-ball would it not?

The rest of your post is well taken. But in general I have seen very few pitchers that had a rotation on a screwball that actually caused movement.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Steve, is Ernie still giving lessons in Memphis? ( where we live ) I use to see and converse with him at local games but did not see him at all late last year? Someone said he had switched to a facility in Mississippi, about 20 south of Memphis, but not confirmed.

I don't know. He is not a friend, though I consider him one :). He was nice to me and helped me, but I never met him again. I never even saw him at 18U tournaments with the Panthers. I know his Memphis facility was northeast of Memphis, but a lot of people try to escape Memphis. I would like to know if you find out. I come through Memphis several times a year. He is a kind ole man.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321