I dont believe anyone.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yup - sorry I was being completely sarcastic & know it's Scarborough. (My sarcasm takes me over too much - at least my wife keeps telling me that :) )

But to respond to your description => God bless! A "swimming" desciption and assessment that actually makes sense to me. Thank you!

But this leaves a big hole of confusion in this very little brain of mine => what does a "problematic swim" look like and without seeing the outcome of the pitch (speed/accuracy), how is it determined a "good swim" versus a "bad swim"????

I think Scarborough's first name is Amanda, but I am too lazy to look it up. He is reinforcing good mechanics where as the excellent example posted by BoardMember below shows a pitcher pulling out her shoulder, to pull her backside, or pitching arm through. They sensation is one of adding power, but it affects the arm "circle" and power-line in a negative manner. If you think of it, many coaches try to teach their pitchers about directing all energies in the pitching motion directly at the target or catcher's mitt: stride, arms at pushoff, front hip, rear hip into front hip, back leg, arm swing, and.....that flying glove arm. This energy in BoardMember's video is redirected, which pulls that force off the power-line. To keep 1/2 the ball off the white of the plate, you have a "window" of less than 6" in softball, and 4.5" in baseball for it to be a strike.

The one thing I like about this girl in the video is she gets the ball back and pitches quickly. We can beat her and go home! She looks a little like Eddie Feigner and the disappearing ball.

Ankle not extended - no push off.

Forward dip at almost 90 degrees.

Elbow is locked and the arm is straight untill the ball reaches the release point

How bad does her back and shoulder hurt after the game?

An instructor taught her to pitch like this?

Dangerous.

Hal,

I agree with most of this but her elbow is not locked until release point. Check out other slow motion video of her below. It seems like she was taught to do a "Hello Elbow" finish but actually has good IR. She finishes hello elbow after the fact.

Softball Power Drive - mechanics in slow motion 1000 frame per second - YouTube

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG