HS vs TB (again)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I coach a 2nd year 14U TB team. Almost all of the players are Freshman this year and made the JV Team. HS Varsity Coach is involved in the TB side with 2 10U, 2 12U, and 1 14U Team, so it's not a matter of that.

HS Varsity coach told all players that if they were caught practicing with their TB team at all they would either be kicked off the HS Team or be benched forever.

On the TB side I can see not allowing the girls to play in tournaments, but practicing? Currently with the weather we are practicing indoors using softies and lite-flight balls. Typically, I have 4 players attend TB practices (2 8th graders, 2 that goes to another HS.) We are working on footwork and hitting.

It wouldn't be so bad but the JV Coach is something else. I can already see the players getting into some bad advise from the coach.

Do many other people run into this problem?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
First, I need to ask, does the Oregon state athletic association allow HS players to practice with their TB teams? It wasn't allowed in IL., when I lived there. So, our coaches made that statement every year.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
No rule against it in Oregon (other than if a HS coach is also the TB coach there are some rules on how many they can coach during the off-season, and before the season ends). What was the rule in IL? How can an association tell girls what they can and can't do during the weekends? Sure it wasn't a coaches rule instead?

Oct 31, 2010
First, I need to ask, does the Oregon state athletic association allow HS players to practice with their TB teams? It wasn't allowed in IL., when I lived there. So, our coaches made that statement every year.

It's a rule where I live as well.

May 18, 2009
HS teams carry insurance to protect against injury. If a girl get's inured outside there's a chance they could claim it against the schools. It's more of a money issue with the insurance from what I understand. It's being done by most HS teams now.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I live in Illinois and it's still a rule. Not just for softball but for any sport. Players are not allowed to play or practice with any other team when their sport is in season. In other words, once HS softball tryouts begin, the girls cannot practice with their TB anymore. During the school year (but off-season) there are restrictions as well, such as no more than two players from any one HS at a practice or instructional clinic.

Personally, I think it's a good rule. The girls are already putting in six days a week with their HS teams. They should have time off on the one day they don't have HS ball unless they choose to do a lesson or something.

As for why it's there, the reason I've heard is to try to level the playing field between high schools. They don't want the "haves" to be gaining an unfair advantage over the "have nots" who don't have access to an outside team/club. Don't know if that's true but that's what I've heard.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As to the "no practice with TB team during HS season", remember that the rules are set up for *all* sports, not just softball.

The specific reason for the rule is most likely basketball--the TB teams in basketball are highly competitive. If there was no rule, the TB teams would be holding practices every night and every weekend.

Nov 29, 2009
During the school year (but off-season) there are restrictions as well, such as no more than two players from any one HS at a practice or instructional clinic.

In Illinois the no more than 2 is for instructional camps. The restrictions for the players is they must compete in a game every few weeks. Can't remember the number at the moment. That's why you see so many teams doing the indoor "tournaments" in Illinois during the winter. My daughter and two of her summer teammates played for the same HS. The other restriction I believe is the number of girls on a club team the HS coach coaches during the summer. I think.. Right now I'm too lazy to look through the convoluted rules that is the IHSA.

Jul 26, 2010
In California it is a rule that HS players are not allowed to play or practice outside of HS.

However, TB teams simply have "clinics" 5 days a week, which according to the letter of the rule, are perfectly legal.

The coach makes the rules for his own team though, so my advice would be to "not get caught".

-W

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet