HS vs TB (again)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
In California it is a rule that HS players are not allowed to play or practice outside of HS.

Is the CIF different than the rest of CA? I seem to remember reading about girls who would practice with their TB teams on Sundays. No games, just practice during the HS season.

Jul 9, 2010
I can't imagine having time. In HS here, we practice 5 nights a week, about 3 hours a night. When games start, it's 3 hour practices except game nights. Can't imagine much time for TB.

Jul 26, 2010
Is the CIF different than the rest of CA? I seem to remember reading about girls who would practice with their TB teams on Sundays. No games, just practice during the HS season.

They all have "clinics" on sundays and during the week, that doesn't mean they're supposed to. At the same time, it would be impossible to compete against other teams if this were not the case.

The norm is to practice with the HS team, grab some food, then head over to the TB facility for 2 hours of BP/pitching/fielding. Outside "clinics" on sat and/or sun.

It only violates HS rules, not TB rules, so most kids don't really care since the HS game is for socializing.

-W

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
They all have "clinics" on sundays and during the week, that doesn't mean they're supposed to. At the same time, it would be impossible to compete against other teams if this were not the case.
-W

This was kinda the reason I posted this. I'm watching the games and seeing that the players are getting bad advise and I'm going to end up having to correct the bad habits they are getting into (since the girls are too scared to come to any TB practice). I have moved to calling it "Lessons" but to no avail.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
The worrying about bad habits is silly. Kids don't just absorb, take on and perfect a new set of bad habits in one HS season, when they are much more concerned with other challenges there. They may become confused, for sure, however. TB coaches just can't let go, even for a few weeks of HS ball.

Really? As hard it is to do, I just sit and watch the games and just cheer for all the girls. Here are a couple of plays for you... and you tell me about having to correct them later.

#1 We are on defense, top of the 6th, down by 1 run, 1 out, runners on 2nd and 3rd. Coach tells the infield to throw home. The ball is hit to the SS, who did what she was told and threw home, oh yea, the runners didn't go. So instead of holding the runner at 3rd and making the out at 1, it's bases loaded 1 out. Next batter hits a groundball to 2nd, run scores, out at first. We end up losing 4-3.

Another game

#2 Top of the 2nd, we are on offense, slowest runner on 2nd, 1 out, 0-0 game. Ball hit to SS, runner holds, good arm at SS and 1st. After inning is over cocah tells her that she needs to get a "jump" because of her speed and to run and not watch where the ball is. Wouldn't ya know it, top of 7th same situation, 3-3 game. Ball hit to SS again, runner runs into the tag. Ended up winning the game in x-tra innings.

Now my own DD was NOT involved in any of the above plays, but for you to say that TB coaches cannot let go for the HS season... Well, this might be the reason.

Jul 26, 2010
I don't see many 16u or higher clubs playing tournaments in HS season. The 14u games are even amusing because the HS freshmen are not permitted on the field (most are dressed and in the dugouts cheering). This is in NorCal. Practice/clinics are another story, but as for tournaments, I just don't see it. Is it different where you are? Do you see 16u, 18u, and 18 gold tournaments during the short HS season?

-W

Jul 21, 2008
I don't see many 16u or higher clubs playing tournaments in HS season. The 14u games are even amusing because the HS freshmen are not permitted on the field (most are dressed and in the dugouts cheering). This is in NorCal. Practice/clinics are another story, but as for tournaments, I just don't see it. Is it different where you are? Do you see 16u, 18u, and 18 gold tournaments during the short HS season?

-W

My area...NC playing TBis allowed and there are some travel ball tournaments for the 16 and 18 but no high profile Gold/A level tournaments until school ball is over. Most good ball teams here only play showcase ball after 14u and college season is not over until the end of may, so it does not effect HS season.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
No matter what the state rule is in this case the coach is the only authority that matters. Every year a little deprogramming goes on after the HS season. We have 5 kids who play on varsity and three that are starters as freshman and I don't allow them to practice with us while the season is in session. I would hate for one of my girls to get hurt playing basketball during softball season and I am sure the softball coach would hate for one of his players to get hurt while working with the TB team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet