HS tryouts in the cold. Which bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
When the ball gets cold...reacts like a freakin golf ball...great hitters conditions :)

Compression jumps up as ball gets colder and colder.

If you have a warranty on the bat, hell with it, swing away!!!

BTW, hitting your bat in the cold, will never void a warranty unless you have a stupid moment and tell them you hit the bat in 40 degree weather

Jun 21, 2015
When the ball gets cold...reacts like a freakin golf ball...great hitters conditions :)

Compression jumps up as ball gets colder and colder.

If you have a warranty on the bat, hell with it, swing away!!!

BTW, hitting your bat in the cold, will never void a warranty unless you have a stupid moment and tell them you hit the bat in 40 degree weather

Right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
All good answers. Another one would be to have your DD borrow a similar bat if not the same for the tryouts from another member of the team. "Darn-it, I left my bat at the cages, can I borrow yours?" Snap, crackle, pop, "sorry I broke your bat" :rolleyes:

Sorry, with bats the way they are nowadays...nobody would borrow any bats from my daughter. Not being mean, but its the nature of the beast now.

And vice-versa...I would not expect anybody to loan a bat out to anybody else either.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
It is my understanding that is more an issue with the balls then the bat. If the balls are nice and warm the bat will perform just fine even if it cold.

Bats do not perform as well when cold. They flex/react less than if the bat was nice and warm. The reason it doesn't matter, is because the balls
are like golf balls and will fly. But its also why the chance of bat damage can occur more...the composite doesn't naturally flex as much as easily.

The perfect situation...a cold ball and warm bat :)

That's why you see some slowpitch guys that will try and store their balls in the cooler on hot days. Of course...not legal.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Sorry, with bats the way they are nowadays...nobody would borrow any bats from my daughter. Not being mean, but its the nature of the beast now.

And vice-versa...I would not expect anybody to loan a bat out to anybody else either.

Completely agree Core thus the point of my post. I saw a girl using DD's bat a couple years ago in cold weather and about had a heart attack. She never made contact with the ball and never been happier to have a teammate strike out! :eek:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles