HS tryouts in the cold. Which bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Even the RT's will dent below 60 degrees if the swing speed is high enough. Believe me I know. I bought Emily a new RT and we went out to the local batting barn in 50 degree weather and it was exactly that when we started inside. By the end of the hour, it was a boat orr. I had to send it back under warranty even though it said not to use it below 60 degrees and they covered it.

That said, I would be leery to use any composite bat under those weather conditions if your DD's swing speed is anywhere above 60 MPH. The exception would be a Combat or older Easton such as the Mako or the other models which were voluntarily withdrawn under the ASA testing guidelines.
Just something to think about.

However, there's something to be said for using the same bat that she's practiced/played with in the past and has confidence in. The questions you need to ask yourself is, should she break it, can she do without it for the 10 day or so waiting period to have it replaced? Is it a one day tryout or multiple days? How will it affect her on subsequent days if broken? Will she have the same confidence in her Xeno? If the answers are yes, then go for it! If not, then some more noodling may be in order.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
All good answers. Another one would be to have your DD borrow a similar bat if not the same for the tryouts from another member of the team. "Darn-it, I left my bat at the cages, can I borrow yours?" Snap, crackle, pop, "sorry I broke your bat" :rolleyes:

Jun 21, 2015
Tryouts all week. She does have an old Mako. She says it’s too light, but she might consider it. I think seriously she would be ok with a wait. League Games don’t start until the end of the month. Her hitting might be the difference between making V as a freshman or staying on JV. If it breaks I would encourage her to use the Mako and leave the Xeno alone. They were told to be prepared to be outside or inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Pop, I kind of got a chuckle when you posted that the cold was in the upper 40s. We are going out if it is in the high 30s. Locally, they don't play games unless it is 40 but we have a lot of games where the temp is 40 but the wind chill is in the 30s. In Chicago, I know they play when it is real cold.

Jul 4, 2013
Durability aside, does anyone know if or how cold temps affect the performance of composite bats?

Jun 21, 2015
Pop, I kind of got a chuckle when you posted that the cold was in the upper 40s. We are going out if it is in the high 30s. Locally, they don't play games unless it is 40 but we have a lot of games where the temp is 40 but the wind chill is in the 30s. In Chicago, I know they play when it is real cold.

I was questioning cold temps for using a composite bat. 40’s is considered cold for that, right?

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I’ve picked up two 2011 Easton Synergies that swing very similar to DD’s Ghost. She hit BP with them all winter and used one Saturday where temps ranged from mid 30’s to 50 all day. They are tanks and I’ve got about $100 in both of them! If she breaks one when it’s cold, I’ll pick up another, hopefully for around $50 again. They are also USSSA approved if that’s an issue for TB.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Durability aside, does anyone know if or how cold temps affect the performance of composite bats?

It is my understanding that is more an issue with the balls then the bat. If the balls are nice and warm the bat will perform just fine even if it cold.

Jun 21, 2015
I’ve picked up two 2011 Easton Synergies that swing very similar to DD’s Ghost. She hit BP with them all winter and used one Saturday where temps ranged from mid 30’s to 50 all day. They are tanks and I’ve got about $100 in both of them! If she breaks one when it’s cold, I’ll pick up another, hopefully for around $50 again. They are also USSSA approved if that’s an issue for TB.

Thanks that’s some great info!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00