HS Ball Check in...How's it going?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Just for you!

specific link to an ACC video: How To Break Your Thumb.mp4 - YouTube
New England Catching Camp: The New England Catching Camp
Advanced Catching Concepts website: Home

Love the one on how to break your thumb. The proper technique they show at the end is the way I was taught back in the day but I was never more than an emergency catcher.

Am I misremembering or does NECC teach he clinched fist but on the chest protector behind the glove? Been a while since I've watched the DVD and I lent it out to a catcher on my DDs team.

Jul 26, 2010
NECC teaches the clenched fist directly behind the glove but only with runners on base position. It's behind them and clenched for no runners on.

-W

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Not HS ball but MS ball so it's close enough i hope lol.

1st I hate Snow, Rain, Wind

2nd DD has had 1 MS game and my wife (bless her heart) states that it's ok to run 10 minutes late to the MS game because there is no chance our DD as a 7th grader is batting leadoff. DD of course batted leadoff but we were able to make the beginning of the game. DD went 2-3, 2-1b, 1R, 1RBI and threw a runner out going to 3rd. Her RBI was the first of her school ball career and the go ahead one at that. However the lead quickly evaporated as did our chances of winning a game this year. From this point on i'm hoping to not get run ruled twice a week.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Question: How do you protect the throwing hand? I hate when kids glue that hand behind their backs.

Normally DD hangs it just off the right thigh. With runners on it's in the crease of her midsection. I am not a fan of behind the glove as I have watched to many come out to assist with the catch but she never liked that so it was a moot point for us.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Normally DD hangs it just off the right thigh. With runners on it's in the crease of her midsection. I am not a fan of behind the glove as I have watched to many come out to assist with the catch but she never liked that so it was a moot point for us.

If the catcher is moving the hand out to assist the catch, they need more practice doing it right - bringing the hand (fist) to the chest directly behind the mitt. If three 9yos in our little rec league (including my DD) can learn to do it to the point of being automatic, so can anyone. From my own observations, most catchers in local rec and HS ball don't get much catcher-specific instruction, and coaches don't pay attention (due to ignorance) to how much danger their catchers are putting themselves in.

The thing I really like about having the hands behind the mitt in RO is that the two hands stay together as they travel to the ground for a block. I see far too many times where the throwing hand has to travel through a lot of free space to get behind the mitt. This is a dangerous situation.

For NR, NECC is now teaching the hand (fist) to be against the outside of the throwing-side leg, down by the ankle, rather than behind the back. This position doesn't open up the shoulder joint as much

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If the catcher is moving the hand out to assist the catch, they need more practice doing it right

Its the getting it right time that I worry about. Most kids don't have the luxury of being perfect before thrown into the fire.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Played 2 out of the 7 scheduled games. DD flips back and forth between JV and Varsity. Doing well so far. Hopefully we'll get the two scheduled games in tomorrow and Thursday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom