How young is too young to start training for softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Ultrasound today and it is a girl!!!! I was thinking to start throwing basics between 3 and 6 months or as soon as she can sit upright by herself. Hitting basics between 9 and 12 months or as soon as she can stand by herself and pitching fundamentals between 12 and 16 months or soon as she can walk by herself. Wife says we should wait to see if she even wants to play softball. Don't worry I don't listen to her crazy talk.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
SoCalDad,... softball baby shower maybe? Instead of Disney videos, softball fielding, hitting, and pitching?

Amy,... Is that a four seam grip I see? Nice! I think the stroller is impeading the arm circle though!

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Congrats on the new baby girl!!

My 14 month old swings (kinda) a bat at the tee and she constantly has a softball in her hand. Of course we only have 50 of them lying around for her to play with. Big sis is bound and determined to teach her how to throw this summer.

i thought I had a pic and I can't find it.

Mar 15, 2010
Congrats on the new baby girl!!

My 14 month old swings (kinda) a bat at the tee...

Thanks. Question: Balanced or end-loaded? I was thinking of starting her off with a balanced composite as the end loaded, while generating great power, may be too much too swing at 14-16 months.

BTW, anyone who thinks I am serious get a life. No way I would have a 16 month old swing a real bat, that is way too late, I would start at 12 months.

Mar 15, 2010
When is the due date? I am figuring your new baby girl can start softball in about 2020 or before. Congratulations!

October 28. Today was the 16 week appt. I have already marked August 2015 on my calendar as my local rec league lets 4 year old's play fall 6U T-Ball. I looked through all the rules and can't figure out the pitching distance for T-Ball.

Once again I am joking, of course I know the pitching distance for T-Ball is 25'.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ultrasound today and it is a girl!!!! I was thinking to start throwing basics between 3 and 6 months or as soon as she can sit upright by herself. Hitting basics between 9 and 12 months or as soon as she can stand by herself and pitching fundamentals between 12 and 16 months or soon as she can walk by herself. Wife says we should wait to see if she even wants to play softball. Don't worry I don't listen to her crazy talk.
Wait until the 3rd trimester. Anything earlier then that and you are just being crazy.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
October 28th is no good. She needs to wait until Jan. 2nd. :) My DD birthday is October 28th and she had to play up an age group from her classmates. She missed starting Kindergarten by a couple of months and then also missed the ASA age cutoff by a couple of months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes