How young is too young to start training for softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Congratulations!

As soon as I found out I was having a girl, I started helping out with a rec ball team, helped with a 'C' travel team that summer, and was an assistant coach for 2 years on a 12u rec and 12u 'C' team before my wife told me my 2 year old daughter was getting jealous of me playing with other girls. So I 'retired' from coaching until she started playing 6u this spring.

My wife had to have a planned C-section, so I tried to convince her to move the date from the Friday before our last tournament to the Monday after the last tournament-- no go.

I took my daughter to her first softball game when she was 3 weeks old. As soon as she could sit up on her own I put a softball in her hand. I'll have to post a picture later. She's already walking around the house doing the windmill and wants to be a catcher.

She played soccer last fall, when I asked her if she wanted to play soccer this upcoming fall she said, 'No dad, I want to play fall ball'. Anyone know a 6u fall ball program in Northern California?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Congrats SCD!!! I have my 6 month old in core training currently. She is struggling at the plate right now. She seems to have a slight leaning problem. No worries, a couple 4 hour Saturday practices and she will get it. She already has 6 pitches and is throwing around 60. She verballed at 2 months. Well, actually we verballed for her. She can't talk just yet. My only concern is should she play for her preschool team? I heard that colleges only look at their TB teams. Should I ice her arm after her workouts? Her first word was IR. :D:D:D

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
All this talk about softball and births I have to tell you the story of my son's birth. I was playing on a men's slow pitch team when my wife was expecting. The team was together for well over 20 years, at one point I was on the team for 7 years and was still the newest guy on the team. The week my son was born, we happened to have a bye, no game. So I did not have to miss a game when he was born. For the next 4 years there was no valid excuse to miss a game for anyone. Any time someone said, I have to miss next week because we are going on vacation. They would hear from someone. If Dave's wife can plan her pregnancy around a bye week, you can plan your vacations better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes