How to stop walk-athon in 10u?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I have come to the conclusion that you can't have a 10u rec league that is strictly kid pitch. There has to be some modification that is a combination of kid/coach. The best one that I was a part of allowed the pitcher to get to a 3 ball count, then the coach came in. The batter kept any strikes they had and the every pitch from the coach was a strike. So, if a pitcher struck a batter out prior to pitching to a 3 ball count, the coach never pitched. If the pitcher had a 3-2 count the coach threw the batter one pitch, etc.

Yup.

Oct 4, 2018
10U Rec is the absolute worst softball ever. Absolutely painful.

Walk, advance to second on wild pitch, advance to third on wild pitch, score on wild pitch. Rinse and repeat.

OMG, I almost lost my mind.

Answer: find a girl who wants to pitch and drive them to lessons and pay for the lessons. Then drive to their house and work with them everyday. It's a lot easier to do this if it's your daughter.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
When my oldest played (only played one season) she was in 10U. It was very boring and I actually asked about it because my youngest who had been playing already for a couple of seasons (she was still in 8U at the time) and her games were actually fun to watch. But they only did kid pitch in the first inning. But even kid pitch - not everyone got walked. My youngest who hadn't pitched before got asked to pitch a couple of games in their end of season tournament because our regular pitcher was out - and she managed to get outs and even strike out people.

When I had asked - the director did mention they had talked about going to coach pitch after so many walks or something. But that never happened.

It is actually really strange how once my youngest moved up to 10U, the pitching was better. It might move in cycles or just depend on how well they are developed prior to moving up to 10U - also they did start introducing pitching clinics for girls who wanted to sign up for it - so they'd get extra lessons.

It is kind of odd though how you only get really 2 seasons before you have to move to a bigger ball/distance when they go to 12U.
You just got good at pitching 10U - well let's make it harder :)

Jan 22, 2011
Haven't read the whole thread. Rec leagues in my county for 10u bring in a coach pitcher once 4 balls are reached on a batter after the first two walks in an inning.

Important thing is work on developing pitchers. Develop relation with local juco's and high schools to have their pitchers give clinics and lessons. See if any alumni from your league in the area are willing to work with your pitchers.

Do player pitch in 8u. We do no walks, coach comes in, player pitch in 8u.

Give all your coaches the link to this website:

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
A rec league that I called for in Mississippi allowed a certain number of walks for a pitcher in each inning. After that number, the coach would come in after the 4th ball. The coach had however many strikes were left.

Unfortunately there really isn't a "talent" answer (until the program gets to a point where there is enough pitching to actually make the games work).
We did this but we only brought the coach in after the 2nd walk in the inning. As pitchers got better during the season there were not very coach visits in a game. For some kids getting that walk was the only time they got on base.

Some leagues bring out the pitching machines after a certain inning. Increases hitting but does nothing for developing pitchers, but then again at home work is really where the pitchers develop.

Oct 4, 2018
When my oldest played (only played one season) she was in 10U. It was very boring and I actually asked about it because my youngest who had been playing already for a couple of seasons (she was still in 8U at the time) and her games were actually fun to watch. But they only did kid pitch in the first inning. But even kid pitch - not everyone got walked. My youngest who hadn't pitched before got asked to pitch a couple of games in their end of season tournament because our regular pitcher was out - and she managed to get outs and even strike out people.

When I had asked - the director did mention they had talked about going to coach pitch after so many walks or something. But that never happened.

It is actually really strange how once my youngest moved up to 10U, the pitching was better. It might move in cycles or just depend on how well they are developed prior to moving up to 10U - also they did start introducing pitching clinics for girls who wanted to sign up for it - so they'd get extra lessons.

It is kind of odd though how you only get really 2 seasons before you have to move to a bigger ball/distance when they go to 12U.
You just got good at pitching 10U - well let's make it harder :)

If you're pitching well in 10U the change to a bigger ball and 3 feet more away is no big deal. Takes a few weeks to get used to but is just a minor blip on their journey.

May 16, 2016
10U rec, there should be no walks. After ball 4, coach comes in and inherits the count. Coach gets 3 pitches, batter gets as many swings as strikes they had left in the count.

If batter has 2 strikes, they get 3 pitches, but only 1 swing. Fouls on strike 3 keep them alive for another pitch.

If batter has 1 strike, they get 3 pitches, but only 2 swings.

if batter has no strikes, they get 3 pitches and up to 3 swings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi