How to prevent weight shift during stride

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2013
I have tried eliminating the stride and just incorporating a toe up/down, but as soon as the heel drops the weight comes forward. If timed right, he hits the ball really well, but as pitchers are getting better his weight comes forward too soon. I have seen lately on outside off speed pitches really cause an issue. Because his weight is already shifted, he is unable to stay behind the ball and drive it.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Try front-toss, but instead of doing anything with the front foot, drop the back foot back a few inches and then swing as normal. You get the feel of a weight shift and hitting against a firm front side.

Dec 15, 2013
Meaning widen the stance more? Or push the back foot away from the plate so the feet are uneven?

I saw something in a previous thread of a back leg drill where the kid was hitting on one foot and this was supposed to get the feel of not shifting their weight forward. Pretty awkward looking drill but wasnt sure if this is helpful

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Stand in normal hitting stance, and instead of striding out a couple inches with the front foot, leave it right where it is. Instead, step backward (toward the backstop) with the back foot a couple inches, then swing away. The idea is to learn to hit with your weight against the front leg, rather than over it.

May 31, 2009
You might want to try this product The Ultimate Hitting Machine You step on a foot plate to toss the ball up, then you shift your weight back and wait until the ball starts back down before swinging. Helps teach a kid to stay back and wait and not over stride. If they step on the foot plate and swing as the ball is going up, then they will be off balance and lunge at the ball. Also, watching the ball go up and down helps to develop great hand-eye coordination. There's a video on the web site.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Shifting your weight is a good thing, isn't it?
Let's ask the Babe....

Babe says:
Swing hitting depends entirely on balance and timing. Note that my weight is on my left foot. As I start swinging my weight shifts to my right foot at the time of contact with the ball. The force of the swing makes a perfect follow through.
"Note that my weight is on my left foot (that would be his "rear leg" also). As I start swinging my weight shifts to my right foot (that would be his "lead leg") at the time of contact with the ball. The force of the swing makes a perfect follow through."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I have tried eliminating the stride and just incorporating a toe up/down, but as soon as the heel drops the weight comes forward. If timed right, he hits the ball really well, but as pitchers are getting better his weight comes forward too soon. I have seen lately on outside off speed pitches really cause an issue. Because his weight is already shifted, he is unable to stay behind the ball and drive it.

Weight shift is a good thing!! But the area of focus is the key. Whole body weight shift isn't good. Top half weight shift isn't good. Some hit the nail on the head in a thread yesterday or day before maybe. They said, in effect, "get your rear into the swing. Cabrera gets his rear into the swing."

Focus the weight shift on the lower half and your problem will be solved. Don't eliminate the stride!!!!!!