How to score this play on Game Changer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Have you tried sending the scenario to GC customer service? They have been very helpful and responsive in the past. Doesn’t look like it’s possible right now, but I did notice a new option for removing the lead runner on a violation for leaving early. Don’t remember that over the summer, but may have missed it for not ever needing it. Not a help for you, but possible sign that they are making improvements.

Oct 14, 2020
That's what I thought, but I am pretty sure the Ump called the runner at third out, at the time we assumed because the play otherwise would have been a FC, with SS throwing home to make the out at the plate. So that's how it was scored due to GC's limitations. I guess other than not giving the batter a hit and marking the runner on 2nd out, keeping the runner at 3rd, and advancing the runner at 1st to 2nd, it technically gives the game the same outcome of no run scored. Just messes with the stats for the opposing team which isn't a big deal to our team, but I guess it also messes with the stats of our pitcher- allowing a hit vs a fielders choice vs an interference. Confusing.

Thanks for the advice though!
Stats like that tend to smooth out over a season.

I think contacting someone at GC and laying this out would probably result in a tweak to show the runner from third not advancing (like on a ball in play under the same scenario that's scored a FC). Then the runner who interferes can be called out with the option being "interference" instead of FC, and the rest falls into line.

Oct 14, 2020
Well well well.

I think @Nimrod is correct after all. The intefered-with fielder for sure gets a putout and the batter is awarded first base on a fielder's choice. In baseball there is no at-bat counted but not under NHFS. NCAA rules give the scorer an option to award a hit if they'd reach without the interference (unlikely in the OP scenario).

Here's a thread touching on this issue without reference to GC: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/scoring-question-on-interference.38471/#post-551868

So in GC you'd put the ball in play, call the batter out on FC, and then return the runner to 3rd and call out the runner from 2nd on the FC. Easy peasey.

Sep 7, 2020
Well well well.

I think @Nimrod is correct after all. The intefered-with fielder for sure gets a putout and the batter is awarded first base on a fielder's choice. In baseball there is no at-bat counted but not under NHFS. NCAA rules give the scorer an option to award a hit if they'd reach without the interference (unlikely in the OP scenario).

Here's a thread touching on this issue without reference to GC: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/scoring-question-on-interference.38471/#post-551868

So in GC you'd put the ball in play, call the batter out on FC, and then return the runner to 3rd and call out the runner from 2nd on the FC. Easy peasey.
Ok that makes sense. But batter would be safe on FC, not out, correct? So the runner on 2nd just gets marked out on the FC play, not "out on interference"...?

Oct 14, 2020
Ok that makes sense. But batter would be safe on FC, not out, correct? So the runner on 2nd just gets marked out on the FC play, not "out on interference"...?
that's correct. batter is safe on FC, runner is marked out on the FC play. I just played it out on the "practice scoring" in GC and it works.

Oct 14, 2020
But the interference is lost. Not really a big deal unless you’re nit picky, but, if you’re reading this far into this thread, you’re nit picky.
This is all true. 🤪 It's probably worth exploring with GC customer service, the reason being, if you want to score it a hit there is no way to do that and send the runner back to 3rd base.

Actually there is. You'd:

1. Put the ball in play to SS
2. Score it a hit.
3. Call the runner from 3rd out
4. Call the runner who's now on 3rd out, by offensive interference
5. Manually change the number of outs to be one less than indicated
6. Tap 3rd base and manually put the runner who's been sent back there instead of scoring on 3rd.

Proceed. ;)

Oct 4, 2018
Ball in play. Shortstop is credited with an unassisted putout on a fielder's choice.

That's assuming that you've judged that the shortstop would've gotten an out somewhere had the interference not occurred. If the shortstop didn't have a clear play on the ball, then it can be ruled a hit, but still an unassisted putout by the shortstop (or nearest fielder to the interference).

That's where I fall on this one too. I have no idea if I'm right or wrong, but unless it's my kid, you don't get a hit on a weak grounder that would have been an out.

Sep 7, 2020
But the interference is lost. Not really a big deal unless you’re nit picky, but, if you’re reading this far into this thread, you’re nit picky.
LOL not super nit picky but annoyed that it can't be done the right way that it actually happened. Ok maybe a little nit picky :LOL:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802