How to score this play on Game Changer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
This is all true. 🤪 It's probably worth exploring with GC customer service, the reason being, if you want to score it a hit there is no way to do that and send the runner back to 3rd base.

That makes me second-guess half my original answer. If the ball is going directly and routinely to the shortstop, it's a fielder's choice. Confident about that.

However, it's possible that if the runner is forced to third that any ball that hits the runner advancing to third is a fielder's choice regardless of whether it was going to get through. If this were just a runner on second (other bases empty), and the ball was headed through the infield until hitting the runner, then that would be a hit. The force situation complicates it. It's kinda like a center fielder forcing a runner at second on a sharp grounder up the middle. Should be a hit, but it isn't. Let me search for a good second opinion.

Oct 14, 2020
That makes me second-guess half my original answer. If the ball is going directly and routinely to the shortstop, it's a fielder's choice. Confident about that.

However, it's possible that if the runner is forced to third that any ball that hits the runner advancing to third is a fielder's choice regardless of whether it was going to get through. If this were just a runner on second (other bases empty), and the ball was headed through the infield until hitting the runner, then that would be a hit. The force situation complicates it. It's kinda like a center fielder forcing a runner at second on a sharp grounder up the middle. Should be a hit, but it isn't. Let me search for a good second opinion.
I'm fine with "always" ruling it a FC in this situation but as noted earlier you lose the interference call from the record. Maybe that doesn't matter.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
I'm fine with "always" ruling it a FC in this situation but as noted earlier you lose the interference call from the record. Maybe that doesn't matter.

Well, heck. Just spoke w/ a guy who has worked as a scorekeeper for college teams, and his view makes me totally wrong:

Anytime a batted ball hits a runner before passing an infielder, the runner is out, the batter is credited with a hit, the batter is put on 1B, and all runners return to the base they had at the time of the pitch, unless forced to advance.

Oct 14, 2020
Well, heck. Just spoke w/ a guy who has worked as a scorekeeper for college teams, and his view makes me totally wrong:

Anytime a batted ball hits a runner before passing an infielder, the runner is out, the batter is credited with a hit, the batter is put on 1B, and all runners return to the base they had at the time of the pitch, unless forced to advance.
That means, for GC purposes, you have to follow the steps I listed in Post 18. That scenario can't be that common so fortunately we're all working in the margins here.

Jan 8, 2019
This is all true. 🤪 It's probably worth exploring with GC customer service, the reason being, if you want to score it a hit there is no way to do that and send the runner back to 3rd base.

Actually there is. You'd:

1. Put the ball in play to SS
2. Score it a hit.
3. Call the runner from 3rd out
4. Call the runner who's now on 3rd out, by offensive interference
5. Manually change the number of outs to be one less than indicated
6. Tap 3rd base and manually put the runner who's been sent back there instead of scoring on 3rd.

Proceed. ;)
Meanwhile, umpire says play ball, and we’re 2 batters down the road before you get this sorted out! And then the umpire turns and asks you to verify the count!

Aug 17, 2019
Meanwhile, umpire says play ball, and we’re 2 batters down the road before you get this sorted out! And then the umpire turns and asks you to verify the count!
Wait till you have to score a catcher's interference on a batter. Batter goes to first, runners advance. Scored as an error BUT batter does not get a hit or ROE or AB or PA. How do you do that on GC? Hopefully GC has a catcher's interference option.

Oct 14, 2020
Wait till you have to score a catcher's interference on a batter. Batter goes to first, runners advance. Scored as an error BUT batter does not get a hit or ROE or AB or PA. How do you do that on GC? Hopefully GC has a catcher's interference option.
that's right on the pitch screen - catcher's interference is near the bottom on Android, between "Intentional Walk" and "Illegal Pitch."

Jul 31, 2015

Actually there is. You'd:

1. Put the ball in play to SS
2. Score it a hit.
3. Call the runner from 3rd out
4. Call the runner who's now on 3rd out, by offensive interference
5. Manually change the number of outs to be one less than indicated
6. Tap 3rd base and manually put the runner who's been sent back there instead of scoring on 3rd.

Proceed. ;)

clever!

disagree that it’s a hit though
would give FC to batter

other steps should still work

May 16, 2016
Before you put ball in play...

1. Drag runner on 2nd to out. Choose Offensive Interference.
2. Ball in play. Single to SS.
3. Runner on 3rd, hit back.
4. Have a sip of your drink while you watch the other teams score keeper struggle with scoring that one....

However, this will not work if there are two outs... As you won't get chance to score the hit... In that case, you really have to use fielders choice option, and add hit to batter's stats after game.

Oct 24, 2010

And, he'd be ignoring part of the playing and scoring rules. Here are the rules for college:

In the scoring section:
14.2 Base Hit
14.2.13 If the official scorer judges the batter would have earned a base hit had runner interference not occurred.
14.3 Base Hit not Credited
14.3.7 When the base runner interferes with a batted ball and the official scorer judges that the batter would have been put out but for the interference. In this case, the batter is credited with a fielder's choice.

In the Base Running section:
12.17.2 Interference by Runners and Base Runners
12.17.2.1 The runner may not interfere with a fielder attempting to field a
batted ball. For example:
12.17.2.1.1 The runner may not contact a fair batted ball, while off base,
before it touches a fielder (including the pitcher) or before it passes a
fielder (other than the pitcher), who has a reasonable chance to make
a play.
[...]
EFFECT—(12.17.2.1 to 12.17.2.1.5.5)—The ball is dead. The batter-runner
is awarded first base unless she is the player guilty of interference.
If the official scorer judges the batted ball would have been a hit, the
batter is credited with a base hit, but if not, it is scored as a fielder’s
choice. The offending runner is out. Each base runner not forced by the
batter-runner must return to the last base legally touched at the time
of the interference. Exceptions: [...]

Summary: This is a hit or fielder's choice according to the official scorer's judgment.
Complicating Factor: Employer's judgment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802