Pitcher Personality / Mental Makeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Anyone who wants to be the main attraction of every inning is a little off.

One key to winning is that the pitcher has to get the kids to play for her. So, the pitcher has to shoulder more responsibility for losing than she should get, and she shouldn't take credit for winning.

As "the Snake" Serdar explained to my DD, if the pitcher strikes out 21 and throws a perfect game, she should tell everyone that her catcher should get the credit because she called a great game.

So, every time my DD was asked about a game the team won, she talked about a specific player who "came through in the clutch". Every time she was asked about a game the team lost, she talked about "how she couldn't get XYZ working."

Feb 15, 2017
Obviously physically, the mechanics of pitching softball vs baseball are totally different, but mentally I think they are very similar. If you watch the mlb you can find pitchers that are very reserved and ice cold amd you can find pitchers who are a more animated. Either can work imho.
I do have a story to share that I thought was interesting, hopefully a baseball story is acceptable lol. Playoff baseball game with Mariano Rivera ice man if there ever was one on the mound, Yankees up one in 9th with no outs, runners first and third. Start of the order due up. Count gets worked full, rivera steps on the rubber amd some nutcase jumps onto the field and runs around the infield with enough speed that I didn’t think the security guards were going to get him and apears to want a high five from rivera who wants nothing to do with this guy. Finally after chasing Rivera in circles the security guards tackled him and got rid of him. Check from trainers, a Couple warm up tosses 3 quick outs done deal. The ordeal was Not shown on tv at all but after seeing that I see why he went so far as a player
One my DD former pitching coach said pitchers fall into three categories, the Princess- nothing is her fault, the perfectionist- everthing is her fault, and the pendulum - goes with the flow of the game and adapts.

She said you want to be the pendulum but still be you. Tennessee had a pitcher who was always jacked up and happy and you have Montana Fouts who you can't tell the score of the game by looking at her.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
I think the one important thing that helps my dd is her ability to tune everything out when she’s pitching. She doesn’t hear the other team trying to rattle her, nor does she hear the cheers from her team. She just gets into a zone with her catcher and does her job. If she K’s someone or lets up a HR you’d never know by looking at her - but she absolutely is always the first player to thank one of her fielders for making a great play behind her.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You can be reserved as a pitcher. Reminds me of telling pitchers to not show emotion, they only have a determination look. Never let the hitter know your current emotion or weakness. I’ve had a pitchers dad say to my niece how calmed she was in our next city over and rivals during game situations. She said she was nervous as hell! So, don’t take away her cool demeanor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee