Pitcher Personality / Mental Makeup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
So my DD is in her first year 10u pitching for her travel team (B/C level) and started pitching last fall. She has come a long way over the last 9 months but wanted to discuss or get opinions on pitchers Personality / Mental Makeup.

My DD is very quiet and not as outgoing and “loud” as some of the other girl. She eventually warms up but and even when she has a great inning her teammates/coaches get excited for her she is still very reserved. On the other hand I see some players who are more vocal and show more emotion. I know I can’t change her personality but want to know your thoughts if something like that could hinder advancing. I know there are all different types of personalities but seems like pitchers tend to be more emotional or outgoing.

With that being said, I think her mental make up where she is at the right place when pitching. Not too high or too low. For instance when she has a really good inning and comes off the field and everyone is excited she takes it in stride and has minimal reaction other than some smiles. The same has applied when she has had tough outings, lots of walks, hits, etc. She has giving up some bombs to other (mostly older / higher level teams) and turns around and just takes the ball like nothing happened and works on the next batter. I’ve seen some pitchers get really emotional with walks, hits, etc. Quite honestly it amazes me how she could forget about it so quickly.

Just wanted to get your thoughts or if you have experienced similar or opposite reactions from your DD or pitchers you have seen/coached, etc and how you think it it affects pitchers moving forward.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 22, 2021
In the same boat as you. DD is quiet but loves playing the game. She only gets down on herself when she isn't getting her pitches called. Could care less if she gives up a big hit, but that outside corner doesn't get called? All in her feelings.

Trying to focus less on the call of the pitch.

Jul 14, 2018
DD is an ice queen. No emotion whatsoever, she often wears really dark sunglasses so she’s a completely blank slate, no matter what is happening in the game.

DD plays for a big org with a bunch of former D1 coaches, and they’ve all told her how she has the right mental makeup to go far. Now she just needs to grow another six inches

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
When DD was much younger the coach used to tell her to quit crying because she can't see the plate. Now she's pretty much stone cold. Just last week she gave up a homerun to a teammate in practice. The dad asked how my daughter reacted (DD is known as a good pitcher) and the response was "she didn't". On the rare moment she shows emotion is when she gets a big out. If she's losing nobody will see it except those in the car ride home.

May 1, 2018
I have one pitcher that barely talks, no emotions, nothing gets to her. The other is thinking about anime and singing songs while she pitches. They are both very effective. I think if they can focus on "the next pitch" all of the time, they can both battle. You coach every girl differently cause they are all different.

Jul 14, 2018
Just last week she gave up a homerun to a teammate in practice. The dad asked how my daughter reacted (DD is known as a good pitcher) and the response was "she didn't".

When DD gave up her first OTF HR, 3B came to the circle and asked “Are you okay?” DD smiled and said “Did you see how far that went?!” She struck out the next hitter to end the inning.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Pitchers are a lot like hockey goalies. You have to have something a little wrong with you to want to put yourself in that situation. Kidding. Kind of.

DD as a person is not loud but outgoing and social. She makes friends easily and gets along with just about anyone. She’s animated in the dug out, cheers loudly, and is pretty loud when playing 1B.

When she gets on the rubber she’s a different human. Cold stare (loves to wears sun glasses), very little animation, doesn’t talk, and has a very still mannerism. She’s very focused on the moment. She’s had some girls take her deep in tough situations. Overall she handles it fine. I’m sure it bothers her at that moment but then she moves on pretty quick. I’d say you have to know her really well to tell when she’s getting frustrated on the rubber.

Pitchers come in all shapes and sizes. Both mentally and physically. All pitchers need both physical and mental coaching. But how much of each just depends on the kid. No right or wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Thanks everyone. From the sound of it my DD isn’t much different than your daughters and has a similar traits. Guess the common denominator is a short memory and mental toughness along with having fun.

As a pitchers parent it’s reassuring to hear the similarities. We are less than a year into this long journey so we are learning learning along the way. .

Jun 26, 2019
Obviously physically, the mechanics of pitching softball vs baseball are totally different, but mentally I think they are very similar. If you watch the mlb you can find pitchers that are very reserved and ice cold amd you can find pitchers who are a more animated. Either can work imho.
I do have a story to share that I thought was interesting, hopefully a baseball story is acceptable lol. Playoff baseball game with Mariano Rivera ice man if there ever was one on the mound, Yankees up one in 9th with no outs, runners first and third. Start of the order due up. Count gets worked full, rivera steps on the rubber amd some nutcase jumps onto the field and runs around the infield with enough speed that I didn’t think the security guards were going to get him and apears to want a high five from rivera who wants nothing to do with this guy. Finally after chasing Rivera in circles the security guards tackled him and got rid of him. Check from trainers, a Couple warm up tosses 3 quick outs done deal. The ordeal was Not shown on tv at all but after seeing that I see why he went so far as a player

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478