How to Fly with Softball Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
My large luggage can fit a bat diagonally. I thought of using my golf bag, but we didn't have enough clothes to bulk it up (golf bag is huge). Her entire softball bag fits into the large luggage too.

Sep 15, 2021
South Central WI
My large luggage can fit a bat diagonally. I thought of using my golf bag, but we didn't have enough clothes to bulk it up (golf bag is huge). Her entire softball bag fits into the large luggage too.
We fly quite a bit and do the same. Helmet and glove go in the carryon backpack.

Aug 9, 2021
We do a lot of the above and will not repeat...adding: we used a bat bag we bought off Amazon. It holds 3 bats. We wrap each in socks and main game bat in a neoprene sleeve. We fly typically fly SW so no charge for checked luggage (2 "bags" each). We typically just take her softball backpack as a carry on and toss it in the overhead compartment (cleats, glove, batting gloves, etc.). Helmet gets pulled off to fit in the bin.

Last trip I saw people checking their "camp" chairs on the flight. I thought that was a good idea for long tournaments.

I've also checked a cooler before (for hunting, not softball), but that is another thing to think about.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I read somewhere that metal cleats might not be allowed as carry-on as they are potential weapons? Has anyone had issues with that before?

Oct 4, 2018
Her 33" bat fits the suitcase if we really cram it in, but it makes me think one bad toss by a baggage handler could break it. Gonna pass on that option for now (need bigger suitcase).

May 16, 2016
We have two of these Demarini Special Ops Wheeled Travel Bags. 4 padded bat sleeves, that will take up to 34" bats. Lots of compartments. We stuff in a regular back pack so the travel bag does not have to go to the field and get dirty. It does have fence clips, but I look at these as luggage, and don't want them covered in softball field dust.

This is not a catchers gear bag, this is a travel bag, meant to be checked baggage on air travel. The main compartment is probably not big enough for catchers gear. Glove and uniforms go in a carry on. Everything else, I figure we can buy replacements if the checked bag is lost.

SPECIAL OPS FRONT LINE WHEELED BAG

It's a bit pricy, but compared to cost 1, 2 or even 4 composite bats... It's worth it, especially if your player is younger, and can expect air travel for a number of years to come. Our first bag did trips to Colorado and OKC, and held up well. Got a 2nd bag for DD2 to use this year.

There are cheaper bags, but this bag has a suitcase like bottom, that is rigid that will protect the bats, as well as hold up better on airline luggage belts.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I read somewhere that metal cleats might not be allowed as carry-on as they are potential weapons? Has anyone had issues with that before?

Softball cleats are fine. My ds just flew in March with his in his carryon.

Mar 7, 2016
Her 33" bat fits the suitcase if we really cram it in, but it makes me think one bad toss by a baggage handler could break it. Gonna pass on that option for now (need bigger suit

Heard some good advice about having uniforms and glove in your carry-on, as they're much harder to replace if your luggage gets lost.

Any other tips for when flying to a tournament? Headed to OKC next weekend and it's our first time flying with gear.
What tourney and age are you guys in? We are there as well along with 573 other teams lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi