How To: Drop Ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
One of my LL pitchers asked how to throw a drop ball. She has a HS pitching coach, so I'd rather not step on his toes by offering her any info, but I would like to learn for future reference. My basic understanding is that a peel is:
-Similar in mechanics to a fastball, but
-thrown with a slightly shorter stride,
-with more of an effort to spin the ball vs whip it forward and
-that the weight is more over the stride foot at release.

Thanks ahead,
Ken

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I should add: this kid throws predominantly with a spiral spin. My take is that before she can even think about a drop, she will need to develop a consistent forward spin, which I suppose is the topic of a totally new thread...

Jan 27, 2010
I assume you are referring to a peel drop. She will need to stay behind the ball at release.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Yes--peel drop.

The peel is simililar to the fastball in almost every aspect except the stride is usually shorter and the weight is transferred to the stride foot at release. The fingers are pointed to the ground until the ball reaches the tips of the fingers and then pull up with the fingers behind the ball as you release creating a hard down spin on the ball.You will in time develop a feel for when the ball is leaving the fingers.You will need to grip the ball across the seams as you would the 6/12 fastball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12