How to beat Team USA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Pitch outside to every batter except Gibson, who seems to be the only batter that can make adjustments from pitch to pitch.

And I'm sure she's a great kid but Hawkins is the best pitcher you could find to replace Ricketts??

Very disappointing - but not surprising - World Cup.

Dec 7, 2011
Funny - sounds like our HS conference too => "Pitch outside to every batter" to guarantee a win.

Amazing that this might be the case for this level - knowing that from what I have seen where if you bring the "Pitch outside" pitchers to the national 16U-18U scene and they get hammered oppo (by many of the best teams). Many of these "best teams" can't be better than Team USA,......right??

I KNOW!!! Why Hawkins? Shes only a sophomore! There are dozens of way more qualified pitchers put there! And where is Jackie Traina at?

People have lives....Traina played for Team USA last year...she has checked that box and got that T-shirt. I think without the pot of Olympic Gold at the end of the rainbow players are not going to stand by the team knowing in the end there really is not anything for them other than to say "hey I played for team USA".

From some things I have read the national team and NPF are not on the best of terms....so my guess would be you will see the national team made up more and more a younger college players and girls will play for team USA one or two seasons and move on.

Can't really complain about pitching, team USA decided to shoot themselves in the foot (what did they think was going to happen) Japan won by bringing over their pitcher from the Junior team who just finish beating the US junior team and she stepped up and beat the big girls...why not props to Nakano who beat both the national and junior national team in the championship game, says alot when you have one of the best pitchers on the planet and pitch a kid off the junior team and she shuts the other team down.

Some headlines still say upset but lets face it Japan is our equal if not better right now. It is hard to know with all our best players not on the field but without Ueno on the field Japan is giving teams a chance to show what they have an they are still coming up short.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2013
Pitch outside to every batter except Gibson, who seems to be the only batter that can make adjustments from pitch to pitch.

And I'm sure she's a great kid but Hawkins is the best pitcher you could find to replace Ricketts??

Very disappointing - but not surprising - World Cup.

Great point. Overall roster selection was a major head scratcher. Very surprised Gibson's Tennessee teammate Madison Shipman was not on the team. She was probably the best shortstop candidate available, and to your point above, from the games I've seen her play Shipman looks to be a very good opposite field hitter. Top notch glove and arm, too. They could have used Ellen Renfroe as well!

Last edited:
May 13, 2013
Cheridan also came from a stint on the USA Jr Nat Team and one of the coaches for USA is from the Ducks.. so, she is qualified, she has had more international exp than any of the other candidates and the coaches are aware of her work ethic/attitude. In a pinch, i can see why she was picked. I do not agree that she was the best choice however, as many girls were on the original tryout list.

Feb 7, 2013
One of the bright spots for Team USA is Sara Nevins pitching. She seems to have mostly corrected her crow hop, is a lefty with a great curve, throwing in the high 60s. I also like Lauren Gibson at the plate. That kid can hit some bombs.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I really like Raven. I tweet with her. She is always so positive and nodding "Yes" to the coach. Plus, 2.6 to first base is unbelievable.

May 13, 2013
I am sort of ok with the turnaround of team USA players. It gives more ladies the opportunity to check that box. Whereas previously you had women going to 2-3 Olympic games. Some not deserving of their 2-3 trip but were still members of the team for whatever reason.

Jul 26, 2010
Ricketts signed with the USSSA Pride. IMHO she went to go play with the best. Team USA is just a college all-star team now. I'd buy dinner for the promoter that could put together some games between Japan and an NPF team.

-W

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole