How times change...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
That's funny. I just forced my 8 y/o to sit with me and watch a game on TV to review this, after I realized she didn't know wtf she was doing at a wiffle ball game.
That might work but the best way to learn these things is to mess up in a game and then look up to see the coaches/parents/siblings/umpires/concession stand workers/nearby wild animals with their heads in their hands ;)

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Enjoy the time while you have it. It's worth every minute.
As a 12U bucket dad, I work very hard to remember this sentiment. I enjoy the time spent away from the "hulabaloo," when I am just taking pitches from DD during a Thursday workout without anyone around. In the spirit of that, actual conversation from yesterday during a water break:

DD: "I think baseball pitching is easier than softball pitching."
Me: "I don't know if it is easier, it's different"
DD: "It looks like throwing to me."
Me: "Baseball pitchers have to work just as hard as softball pitchers."
DD: "I don't think so, they are just throwing the ball, like regular."
Me: "I think it is more than that."
DD: "Doesn't look like it."

Water break over, time to work on spots.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
As a 12U bucket dad, I work very hard to remember this sentiment. I enjoy the time spent away from the "hulabaloo," when I am just taking pitches from DD during a Thursday workout without anyone around. In the spirit of that, actual conversation from yesterday during a water break:

That's great!!! When my youngest was probably in Middle School I started throwing her curve balls and knuckleballs.... lol she learned how much break you could get with a softball :)

Nov 4, 2015

My DD is still 13 and we have had this conversation many times. She's pretty sure she could have become a decent pitcher in baseball much easier than softball!!

Apr 16, 2013
My DD is still 13 and we have had this conversation many times. She's pretty sure she could have become a decent pitcher in baseball much easier than softball!!
My DD was a pitcher in baseball. While I agree, anyone can pick up a ball and throw it... two words: sixty feet. It's a helluva lot easier hitting a strike zone from 43 feet. The absolute shortest distance for baseball is 46 feet, which 8 and 9yos pitch from. I still kinda scratch my head over the worry for moving from 40 to 43 feet. In most baseball it goes 46 -> 50 -> 54 -> 60'6". Overall, I'd agree that pitching in softball is a much more specialized skill.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
As a 12U bucket dad, I work very hard to remember this sentiment.
And don't forget it cause among all the stupidity that can come along with softball, it's sometimes easy to do! My DD reports to college in exactly 2 weeks and I'm already thinking........"what, no Fall ball!!"

So many times I drug myself in the door after work only to turn right around and drive 45 miles one way for a Tuesday night pitching lesson, and so many times I didn't want to go! Guess what......I'm going to especially miss Tuesday's!!

sjw62000, I know we don't know each other, but please trust me when I say the time between 12U and college will fly by!! I think I may just go have myself a beer and a cry in just a few minutes!

Nov 4, 2015
My DD was a pitcher in baseball. While I agree, anyone can pick up a ball and throw it... two words: sixty feet. It's a helluva lot easier hitting a strike zone from 43 feet. The absolute shortest distance for baseball is 46 feet, which 8 and 9yos pitch from. I still kinda scratch my head over the worry for moving from 40 to 43 feet. In most baseball it goes 46 -> 50 -> 54 -> 60'6". Overall, I'd agree that pitching in softball is a much more specialized skill.

Mine was being funny about it. But for arguement's sake, as i played baseball, its actually a helluva lot easier to hit a strike zone from 60 feet overhand with some velocity than it is to hit the strike zone from 43 ft underhand with velocity. I agee, the move from 40-43 was not a factor for my pitcher, but was a factor in dealing with the hitters that had more time.

Apr 16, 2013
And don't forget it cause among all the stupidity that can come along with softball, it's sometimes easy to do! My DD reports to college in exactly 2 weeks and I'm already thinking........"what, no Fall ball!!"

You're welcome to come along to our weekends and live it all again. :D (Rock Hill, next weekend!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck