How should players address their coach??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I prefer Coach or Coach-first name. But that's just for the girls team I coach. ANY boy that decides he wants to be around my girls can call me "Mr. Last Name, Sir". And I will call him "son". As in, "what, exactly, are you doing here, son?!"

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Coach Vertuccio..Coach Tucc..Coach V or just Coach! I am a coach not a pal! Just wondering, how many of the dad coaches say call me Coach First Name and how many of the non dad coaches say call me Coach Last Name?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
coach-first name.

Daughters tried to call me dad a few times but I told them I'm not their dad at practice or during games so take a lap.

A couple of girls have called me by my first name- I told them I'm not their buddy so take a lap.

The best is when you see them out about town and out of nowhere you hear "Coach!"

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
If I ever hear anyone address me by Mr. MyLastName, I'd assume I was being arrested, standing in front of a judge or that I was a patient in a medical institution. From my limited involvement in softball (3yrs) in Seattle all the kids call their coach "Coach FirstName" or even just by their first name.

Jun 11, 2013
Growing up I always referred to any coach as Coach last name and any grown up as Mr. Last name. I actually like it better now with coach or Mr. first name. I would tell my kid to go with whatever the coaches want to be called. All to day have wanted Coach first name. May change in High School.

Apr 14, 2011
Around here, I don't know any Coach-last names in rec or travel. It's always Coach-first name.

What drives me absolutely crazy is when Coach DD's call them "dad" - Back in the day when I was coaching Little League baseball and first couple years of DD's softball, I always insisted my own kids call me coach. Right now we have a coach and his older daughter helping on our team and it also drives me crazy that she calls him "dad." The other coaches all refer to the others as coach-first name and it should be the same with her (and her little sister!).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree with TJ. But, I am older. Kids either respect me, by now, or they don't. I am mom, Mimi, and Amy. I don't have many rules, except that I don't like the word "can't," as in "I can't slide." :)