How should players address their coach??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
I agree with TJ. But, I am older. Kids either respect me, by now, or they don't. I am mom, Mimi, and Amy. I don't have many rules, except that I don't like the word "can't," as in "I can't slide." :)

OMG! That is also my biggest no-no. I will not have my players saying that word or they owe me push ups. While they are doing their push ups I explain how that word limits them mentally when they speak it. For the parents it is that they can't use the word don't.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
^^^^To Gator Girl....^^^^

Over 652 days...sure, tons of time (lol). This thread was started back on January 8th 2012 but still pops up every now and again.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2011
I think I've changed on this over the years. I always introduce myself to a new team as Mr. (last name). I've always felt that I've needed to prove myself to my players and that it was incumbent upon them if they wanted to call my coach. Most did call me coach. My last name is long so it's usually just coach. The longer I coached I picked up a nickname that some of the players will use if I've coached them for several years. I know I wouldn't have allowed it early in my coaching career but it doesn't bother me now. I don't see it as a sign of disrespect for them to use a nickname, although I also understand why others may see it as disrespectful.