How should players address their coach??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Just wondering how everyone likes to be addressed as a coach or how you think players should address their coaches??
By first name (eg Joe, Coach, Coach Joe. Mr.....??) and what is your reasoning??

Just starting a new team and the girls right now are calling myself and asst. coaches by our first names and something just does not seem right with it or am I dilusional.....:D

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do you think players addressed Bobby Knight as "Coach Bob"?

Assuming you are older than 21YOA and the players are 18U or lower, then the kids should always address you by your last name. Children should use last names when addressing an adult. It creates a boundary between the coaches and the players...which is good. It reminds everyone of their role.

This creates a mindset. "I don't care if we win or lose, but this team is going to be the best behaved, best mannered team at every tournament we attend."

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Could be the last name, first name or nickname (whatever the coach's preference), but it should ALWAYS be preceded by "Coach"

Coach Dave...Coach Wilson...Coach Manny... All of those are OK with me.

It all starts with the way you introduce yourself to them at the beginning. And continues with how you refer to the other coaches in conversation. IMO whenever you are talking to the player(s) you should always refer to the other coaches as "Coach XXXXX"

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Could be the last name, first name or nickname (whatever the coach's preference), but it should ALWAYS be preceded by "Coach"

Coach Dave...Coach Wilson...Coach Manny... All of those are OK with me.

It all starts with the way you introduce yourself to them at the beginning. And continues with how you refer to the other coaches in conversation. IMO whenever you are talking to the player(s) you should always refer to the other coaches as "Coach XXXXX"

I second this post

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I prefer Amy. There can be 6 people on the field answering to coach. I do still turn my head. I was Mrs. Newtson, quite long enough in the classroom.

Jul 26, 2010
Most travel coaches I know go by "Coach xfirstnamex". Most high school coaches prefer "Your Highness".

-W

Nov 29, 2009
I've always gone by Coach and the first name unless the coach prefers something like "Coach J" or something like that. DD had a HS assistant coach with a very long first and last name. She went by "Coach K" which was her last initial. It just makes it easier and quicker to communicate. In college in was simply Coach for the Head Coach.

Sep 17, 2009
This is a fun thread. I go by Coach Rich, my last name (Polish) is too long : > On our team it's a mix of Coach Firstname and Coach Lastname, pretty interchangeably...

On a related note, I always call MY kids' coaches (in other sports, in high school) "coach", even after we move on or graduate in some instances...I imagine most of us coaches do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse