How should a pitcher handle this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
I have never been a pitcher. That being said...I would like a pitcher's viewpoint:

What is the appropriate response when a batter points their bat at you from the box and yells at you to throw them a strike?

I saw this at a 10U game. Honestly, I was surprised the ump didn't call them down for taunting, which is explicitly prohibited in our league. BUT, I was sitting with a local HS coach who leaned in and said "They better be careful. A cocky pitcher will aim for their helmet to shut them up." ...ouch...

Jan 27, 2010
A good hard screwball in high and tight would be a good pitch to start this batter off with.

Nov 23, 2009
The best response is no response. Don't even let the opposition know that you are paying attention to them. Just pitch your game.

That is the best answer. We want our children to be good athletes, but we also want them to be good sports which will carry them much farther in life.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At 10U, if the batter were my player, she would have been sitting on the bench. If the batter were my DD, she wouldn't have been able to sit on the bench.

Feb 9, 2009
At 10U, if the batter were my player, she would have been sitting on the bench. If the batter were my DD, she wouldn't have been able to sit on the bench.

I took the opportunity to watch that team's parents, and they were surprisingly supportive of the batter...no wonder the next two batter's stepped up to the plate and did the exact same thing....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves