How much has the game changed in 20 years?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2016
This question came up in another thread.

I've been following fastpitch for only a few years. What has changed in the game over the last 10 or 20 years? Have there been substantial developments in pitching techniques? Has the mechanics of batting evolved over time? Have game strategies changed? Is training any different?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The bats have changed and in some ways, that has changed the game. For example, some coaches really embrace the short game which has been around for a very long time. Personally, I don't. You won't find my hitters bunting much. We hit bombs. Well, we really don't always hit bombs but we do hit it hard. In a way, the difference in that approach has made some of the bunting teams really hard to beat. Unless you have a really fast lefty, bunting for hits will not get players spots on college teams.

The other major change that I have noticed is the pure lack of respect for high school coaches. Everyone has their expert and that HS Coach is the dumbest thing around. Few parents want to admit that that expert may or may not be knowledgeable about the game. Heck, they are paying money and would be embarrassed if they admitted that they were scammed by an expert. If you haven't noticed, I'm an ex expert. If you like what I coach, great. If not, great.

Mar 13, 2010
The ball colour is a big one. I had two years off. Came back to a different coloured ball.

Pitching styles has changed. And the 3 feet made a big difference. The backswing was not common at all.

Bats were nowhere near as hot. They’d also last a lot longer (though you’d need a seperate bat for pitching machines as they’d dent 😂😂) I had my Lisa Fernandez bat for close to 10 years before it died. Now I’m lucky to get 2 years out of a bat

I was a teen from 1996 and I remember shorts being SUPER popular. To the point teams would cut their pants to wear shorts. Now pants are the common wear. (Speaking as an Aussie. It started with the state and national teams and it’s starting to trickle back down to the rep and club teams) Shorts will be mostly gone soon. (Though having played a game in 107 degree weather I thanked every deity for my shorts. Still cried after the game)

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Equipment has changed the game immensely. Balls that aren't even squared up well are leaving the park. Small ball
is almost nowhere anymore. Wait for the dinger and score runs

May 15, 2016
The other major change that I have noticed is the pure lack of respect for high school coaches. Everyone has their expert and that HS Coach is the dumbest thing around. Few parents want to admit that that expert may or may not be knowledgeable about the game. Heck, they are paying money and would be embarrassed if they admitted that they were scammed by an expert. If you haven't noticed, I'm an ex expert. If you like what I coach, great. If not, great.

Off topic to my own thread...

My expert is my daughter, who comes home from school practice telling me about the things the coach says that contradicts everything she has learned playing travel ball. She knows a hell-of-a-lot more about the game than I ever will. I don't discuss the school coach with her private coaches or even the coaches from her travel team.

I'm sure what you said about parents is true for many, but my lack of respect for her high school coach is entirely earned by him.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Off topic to my own thread...

My expert is my daughter, who comes home from school practice telling me about the things the coach says that contradicts everything she has learned playing travel ball. She knows a hell-of-a-lot more about the game than I ever will. I don't discuss the school coach with her private coaches or even the coaches from her travel team.

I'm sure what you said about parents is true for many, but my lack of respect for her high school coach is entirely earned by him.
Bob, that is fair enough. So, I'll repeat the same comments I've made all along. Take her off of the team. If he is that bad, why would you subject her to his coaching? I've never understood that from any parent who complains about the coach. In fact, I encourage any of my parents, via a parent meeting to start the year, to take their child off of the team if they don't like what I do.

Another thing that has changed is video work. There are so many options out there and the ease of use is amazing. I still use the tripod and digital camera. However, a lot of coaches use their cell phones. At a game this week, one of the umpires came over and asked me what I was doing and then said that he had not seen anyone video games. I told him I wasn't videoing the game. I was making video of certain hitters. I did not video the other team at all. I doubt that anyone but him even noticed I was "taping" hitters. BTW, I would recommend that if you have a parent meeting, including something along the lines that video might be made during the season in both practice and games. Ours is now in our school Code of Conduct as well.

Perhaps, for some, parent meetings are new. I highly recommend them!

Jun 8, 2016
Bob, that is fair enough. So, I'll repeat the same comments I've made all along. Take her off of the team. If he is that bad, why would you subject her to his coaching? I've never understood that from any parent who complains about the coach. In fact, I encourage any of my parents, via a parent meeting to start the year, to take their child off of the team if they don't like what I do.
Maybe the kid is still having fun playing with her friends despite the crappy coaching.. ;)
My DD's 10U coach leaves a lot to be desired but she is playing on a team which plays good competition and has good kids on it she calls friends. When her coach tells her something that contradicts something I say she knows who to believe and eventually the coach typically leaves her alone once he finds she has success doing it the "wrong way" :) A specific example is his "get in front of everything mantra". After DD made a few nice backhand plays in the hole, which she would have no chance making if she tried to get in front of the ball resulting in her being off balance to throw, he no longer yelled at her for backhanding balls. Granted not all coaches will be like that in which case your solution may be a good one... :p

May 15, 2016
If he is that bad, why would you subject her to his coaching? I've never understood that from any parent who complains about the coach.

I don't subject her to anything. It is entirely her decision. I'm just trying to help her get as much information as possible to make that decision.

May 17, 2012
Heck, they are paying money and would be embarrassed if they admitted that they were scammed by an expert.

This is what I have noticed as well. There is so much money being spent on softball now compared to 20 years ago.

As a coach who isn't taking money from players I just offer my observations and parents NEVER want to hear they are spending their money on bad private coaching (hitting coach, pitching coach, fielding coach, etc.).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying