How much has the game changed in 20 years?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Definitely ball color, bats - when I played in HS there were only team bats supplied by the school, no one had their own bat, pitching distance, pitchers capable of hitting 60+.

I don’t think I ever faced a pitcher who could hit 60+ when I played in HS. There was one girl who maybe came close. She was by far dominant over every one. We also didn’t see different pitches. Only one pitcher I knew of had a changeup. You’d still come across some slingshot pitchers - I was one of them. I think I also saw maybe 1-2 legit HRs hit during HS season. It just wasnt common in my conference in North Jersey. We also didn’t have travel team players.

Jul 4, 2018
I had a really good conversation with a college umpire last year that was doing our 12u game in Crowne Point last year. He told me he had umpired Jenny Finch and many other greats in the PAC10 when they were youth age. I asked him how did the girls that he saw at that tournament stack up to them? He our girls at 12u age were more advanced than the greats were at 14 and 16u. His words, not mine.

Jun 8, 2016
I had a really good conversation with a college umpire last year that was doing our 12u game in Crowne Point last year. He told me he had umpired Jenny Finch and many other greats in the PAC10 when they were youth age. I asked him how did the girls that he saw at that tournament stack up to them? He our girls at 12u age were more advanced than the greats were at 14 and 16u. His words, not mine.
Not surprising. The question is how much improvement will these advanced 12U players see from now till college compared to the improvement the "greats" made from 14U till they got to college. Unfortunately everybody has an athletic ceiling...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00