How many pitches is too much (8u)?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2012
We had a girl on our Allstar team who was on fire this past weekend. We played a 4 game, one day tournament. She ended up throwing 234 pitches total throughout the day. She didn't complain of any fatigue and appeared to get stronger throughout the day. We normally play a four day tournament with two games max per day. Our tournament was cancelled so we jumped into this one. My feeling is this is way too many pitches for her age and I won't let her grow that many again. What's your thought?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
At 8U (and in fact all levels) you need to be developing players - especially pitchers - so only having one pitcher is a major concern. Winning can't be that important.

At least give her a chance to come in and out. Pitch someone else for a few batters.

Jun 12, 2012
She wasn't the only pitcher. We played 4 games and she pitched the complete last game (101) pitches. We pitched 3 other girls throughout the day. If we limited it to 50 pitches total we would have needed 8 pitchers.

Jan 25, 2011
I have to ask this,how big are the trophys in 8u ball?What about endorcements?How many D1 coaches are there?You read what Iam putting down here?This is 8u softball who says you can't have ever girl on the team pitch!Let them learn about the game and having fun first.The coach will get his,chance for his glory sometime!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Let's see, 2 games of TB ( 75 mins ) prob 5 innings, 3 up 3 down and taking batters to a full count + 1 for K or BB = 180 pitches.

Not included are foul balls, quick K's, straight BB, hits. ( hope my math is right, been on tractor in 102 heat all day )

Been 8 years ago since DD was in 8u, but she would throw 2 games a day, and most of the top 1-2 on teams did too.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I must not understand what you are asking. I thought that you wanted to know how many pitches an 8yo should throw a day. Through my experience, and I have five 8 YOs right now, they shouldn't throw over 50 pitches a day.

These girls are little bitty. Some still sit in booster seats in the car.

Here, the girls are limited to 3 innings and no back to back games.

No one of any age should throw 234 pitches a day. I can't imagine an 8 yo that can throw 100 pitches.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Oklahoma * ip* h* r* er* bb* so* wp* bk* hbp* ibb* ab* bf* fo* go* np*
Ricketts, Keilani L,37-9* 6.0* 7* 5* 3* 2* 7* 4* 0* 0* 0* 26* 28* 2* 10* 112*
Alabama * ip* h* r* er* bb* so* wp* bk* hbp* ibb* ab* bf* fo* go* np*
Jackie Traina W,42-3* 7.0* 5* 4* 4* 3* 6* 0* 0* 1* 0* 27* 31* 7* 10* 120*

I couldnt get it to line up, but 120 and 112 pitches for champ game. Probably give or take the same # for HS 7 inning games. Then like us who did HS tourneys our pitchers may throw 9-10-11 innings a day, adding even more pitches.

I do realize this is 8U but seriously, I know for a fact at 8u ( DD's years ) the better pitchers in the area were pitching 2 games a day, and that had to be well over 100 pitches. These are for the most part the same girls we battle with in HS and local state TB tourneys today.

Jun 12, 2012
She had rest in between and only threw one complete game. I agree 234 is too much but 50 is unreasonable. It's an Allstar team and letting all 12 girls pitch wouldn't be possible. A bad pitcher's pitch count would be even higher. I'm just trying to see what a comfortable number is. It's not like boys where the pitch count is quite as crucial.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ok... So I am trying to work this out.

4 girls pitched, but one of the girls had 234 pitches for the day including the last game where she threw 101 pitches (which to me is at least 6 innings worth and difficult to fit into one game on a tournament day). How much did the other players actually pitch?

I have no problem with going to 100-125 pitches or most of 2 games (assuming they can keep around this limit) on a one day tournament but 234 pitches is ridiculous. Especially at this age where the pitchers are at the beginning stages of learning to pitch and likely don't have very good form.

And it isn't how they feel on the day - it is how they are going to feel when they are 10, 12,14, 18 & 22 years old. A number of people on this board have DD's whose arm still hurts today after they have finished their playing career or have had major injuries and surgeries because they were ridden like a pitching mule all those years. I know of two kids locally who have just had arm surgeries as Sophomores in high school linked to pitching too much (and bad form)

Some 8U All Stars tournament is just not important and it is sad that anyone would risk a young kid's health for it. If the coaches (or parents) want a trophy so bad I will kick in $10 and buy them one.

Here is South Florida I don't even know of a 8U kid-pitch division. Even 8U Travel is all coach pitch. The 2nd year 8's who pitch tend to play up in 10U rec to add pitching depth and start to get some experience in games.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors