How Many Pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Curious how folks think about pitch limits for their younger DDs. My oldest DD is 13.5 years old. Pitching on a first year 14U B team. She is the #1 pitcher. At a tournament this weekend, she pitched our second pool play game and was extremely efficient, going 5 innings on about 50 pitches. Today, during bracket play, she had about 80 pitches over five innings in our first elimination game. We won that game, but it was a labored performance and she was not that sharp. We had a one game break, got something to eat. Manager decides to use her for second elimination game, hoping to maybe get 3 or 4 innings out of her. I asked her how she felt and told her we didn't need any heroics. She said she was good.

Overall, she pitched much better in the second game against a stronger team. Was sitting at about 50 pitches or so through 4 innings. Game was tied 3-3 and she hadn't given up any earned runs. Manager was maybe thinking about pulling her at that point. She told him that she wanted to finish the game (probably looking at 1 to 2 more innings at that point). She'd just gotten through the fourth inning in about 10 pitches. He sent her back out there and I let him. This was the third time through their order. Of course, the first two batters reached on hard singles. He didn't pull her. The inning quickly unraveled. He replaced her with another pitcher when the game was probably too far gone. On the day, she ended up pitching 10 innings and about 150 pitches. In hindsight, it seems obvious that she was gassed and running on fumes. Manager waited too long to pull her. Did I mention it was also hotter than hell?

My question is how many pitches do you typically let your DDs pitch in a day at 13 or 14 years old? All things being equal, I guess I'd be more comfortable with around 100 to perhaps 120. Our issue on this team is that we have two other pitchers (and sorta kinda a fourth) but they are not as strong an option and also leave our infield weaker when they come in to pitch (one starts at 3B and one starts at SS). One of these two other pitchers also hurt themselves the day before, so she wasn't an option. My DD is feeling fine and we'll get a couple of days off now to rest, but--looking ahead--I don't want to risk wearing her out or, worse, getting her hurt.

Apr 28, 2019
Curious how folks think about pitch limits for their younger DDs. My oldest DD is 13.5 years old. Pitching on a first year 14U B team. She is the #1 pitcher. At a tournament this weekend, she pitched our second pool play game and was extremely efficient, going 5 innings on about 50 pitches. Today, during bracket play, she had about 80 pitches over five innings in our first elimination game. We won that game, but it was a labored performance and she was not that sharp. We had a one game break, got something to eat. Manager decides to use her for second elimination game, hoping to maybe get 3 or 4 innings out of her. I asked her how she felt and told her we didn't need any heroics. She said she was good.

Overall, she pitched much better in the second game against a stronger team. Was sitting at about 50 pitches or so through 4 innings. Game was tied 3-3 and she hadn't given up any earned runs. Manager was maybe thinking about pulling her at that point. She told him that she wanted to finish the game (probably looking at 1 to 2 more innings at that point). She'd just gotten through the fourth inning in about 10 pitches. He sent her back out there and I let him. This was the third time through their order. Of course, the first two batters reached on hard singles. He didn't pull her. The inning quickly unraveled. He replaced her with another pitcher when the game was probably too far gone. On the day, she ended up pitching 10 innings and about 150 pitches. In hindsight, it seems obvious that she was gassed and running on fumes. Manager waited too long to pull her. Did I mention it was also hotter than hell?

My question is how many pitches do you typically let your DDs pitch in a day at 13 or 14 years old? All things being equal, I guess I'd be more comfortable with around 100 to perhaps 120. Our issue on this team is that we have two other pitchers (and sorta kinda a fourth) but they are not as strong an option and also leave our infield weaker when they come in to pitch (one starts at 3B and one starts at SS). One of these two other pitchers also hurt themselves the day before, so she wasn't an option. My DD is feeling fine and we'll get a couple of days off now to rest, but--looking ahead--I don't want to risk wearing her out or, worse, getting her hurt.
Very good tough question. It depends how much she practices and how much stamina each girl has. The more they practice the more they should be able to throw in games.
Also depends how they are used. Are you pitching by committee using 2/3 pitchers a game? Or are you being asked to throw complete games? Or multiple complete games a day?
I know of a girl that practices a ton and she can throw 3 complete games in successive days. Now some tourney games only go 4/5 innings so it’s not like she is throwing 21 innings every Sat/Sun.
I would say she is the exception not the rule.
My daughter doesn’t practice nearly enough so she will either pitch by committee 2/3 innings per game for 2/3 games or I complete game each on Sat/Sun.
So I would say you base your number of innings on amount of consistent practice time and how she feels during the game. Especially in hot/humid weather as you mentioned. Obviously you have to consider how she is performing as well. If she’s getting hit pretty hard and giving-up earned runs that will shorten her time in the circle as well.

Jul 9, 2016

I say keep a count of pitches thrown, practice, warm ups, games.

It is up to you to protect your daughter.

No matter if Travel Ball or High School ball.

Too many surgeries in this sport.

Remember, Baseball pitchers get 5 days off after 90 pitches.

Nov 18, 2013

What I think is right and what I let my DD pitch are way different. I assumed the coaches had her best interests in mind and we all know softball pitching is a natural motion and we don’t need to worry about overuse. (Ha!). When you get over 100 pitches in a day it gets significant. Each kid is different so I can’t name a strict limit. Some can go 50, others 300 pitches in a day.

I guess I have a bigger issue with a B team riding one pitcher when he’s got 2.5 others on the bench. No reason to not at least get the other 2 involved at that level.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
I think pitchers warm up way to much sometimes also. See a girl warm up before every game and then before they bring her in. Play five games and throw 20 before the game 20 to come in and then pitch. It's not just the game pitches. Heat has an effect. Of course stress of the game. 0-0 game puts more stress than a 13-0 game. Laboring is more a sign than how many pitches IMO.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Very good tough question. It depends how much she practices and how much stamina each girl has. The more they practice the more they should be able to throw in games.
Also depends how they are used. Are you pitching by committee using 2/3 pitchers a game? Or are you being asked to throw complete games? Or multiple complete games a day?
I know of a girl that practices a ton and she can throw 3 complete games in successive days. Now some tourney games only go 4/5 innings so it’s not like she is throwing 21 innings every Sat/Sun.
I would say she is the exception not the rule.
My daughter doesn’t practice nearly enough so she will either pitch by committee 2/3 innings per game for 2/3 games or I complete game each on Sat/Sun.
So I would say you base your number of innings on amount of consistent practice time and how she feels during the game. Especially in hot/humid weather as you mentioned. Obviously you have to consider how she is performing as well. If she’s getting hit pretty hard and giving-up earned runs that will shorten her time in the circle as well.
Generally, the manager will give my DD and the #2 pitcher their own games in pool play, unless they are struggling for some reason. If there is a pitch by committee, it might be the #3 and the #4 splitting innings during pool play. He is reluctant to use the #4--his own DD--because she really is not a good pitcher. She is more of an innings eater than a pitcher and because her mechanics are poor, she is prone to walking multiple batters per inning. Not slagging her off--I appreciate her answering the bell--but just a fact. The other way he might pitch by committee with the #1 or #2 is if the game is a blow out in one direction or the other. At that point, the #3 or #4 might come in to mop up.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I think pitchers warm up way to much sometimes also. See a girl warm up before every game and then before they bring her in. Play five games and throw 20 before the game 20 to come in and then pitch. It's not just the game pitches. Heat has an effect. Of course stress of the game. 0-0 game puts more stress than a 13-0 game. Laboring is more a sign than how many pitches IMO.
We try to keep our warm ups efficient, partly for the reasons you state. Before the second game yesterday (following a 90 minute break), we threw overhand for several minutes. Did 10-15 Power Ks. Probably 10 more with a full arm circle. Then probably 5 fastballs and 5 change ups. It would be a bit more than that before the first game of the day, but with a fairly relaxed pace, we can get ready from 0 to 60 in about 20 minutes. Faster if we had to.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
What I think is right and what I let my DD pitch are way different. I assumed the coaches had her best interests in mind and we all know softball pitching is a natural motion and we don’t need to worry about overuse. (Ha!). When you get over 100 pitches in a day it gets significant. Each kid is different so I can’t name a strict limit. Some can go 50, others 300 times in a day.

I guess I have a bigger issue with a B team riding one pitcher when he’s got 2.5 others on the bench. No reason to not at least get the other 2 involved at that level.
I agree and, if I had to do it over, I would have had her stop after the 4th inning of the second game yesterday. The #2 was available (playing SS). That sort of was the plan going in. I think what threw it off was that my DD was throwing well, kept indicating between innings that she felt good, and then, somewhat counter to type, made an aggressive statement to the manager about wanting to finish the game. So he put her back in and calamity followed. I was of mixed minds about it, which is partly what drove me to post. As I stated elsewhere, the #3 was not available due to injury and #4 was not really an option. It seems clear now that we should have let the #2 start a clean 5th inning. The game ended up going 5.5 in 90 minutes. The other team--which went on to win the tournament--had pitching struggles of their own and ended up making a change in I believe the 3rd inning, shortly after we tied the game 3-3.

May 20, 2016
Definitely a pitcher specific thing. My DD's thrown 4 games in a row before, was a bit beat at the end of it but she also does stamina conditioning. Have also seen others that really can't make it through a game. No magic number. Think baseballs 100 pitch number seeps into everyone's head and that is a fictitious number as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812