How many A level teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2019
Thanks for posting that link, I had no clue these rankings existed. It's interesting but I agree on the local team comments. In 2018 DD was on a 2nd year 12u in the top 200 on this list but we destroyed a team ranked slightly below us. We were 2nd best in our state and the best team is not ranked on this list because they didn't play in a single tournament that was considered. My DD currently plays for a team that was top 200 in 14u for 2018 (2023 05 playing up). We lost 1-0 to a top 30 team in 12u for 2018 in Nov in Atlanta
I'm fine with being top 200. But last year the 14u team run ruled a top 100 team so again, it's all about how much you played in PGF or those Elite Select stuff.
IMO Mojo was the best 23 team last year since they won PGF.
I will also say that playing in the tournaments all these top teams are at helps you get better. I've noticed that the teams that dominate locally have a hard time the rare times they do venture out into these types of tournaments. While the teams they can beat locally who do challenge themselves are doing better. Alot of orgs are too focused on trophies.

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks for posting that link, I had no clue these rankings existed. It's interesting but I agree on the local team comments. In 2018 DD was on a 2nd year 12u in the top 200 on this list but we destroyed a team ranked slightly below us. We were 2nd best in our state and the best team is not ranked on this list because they didn't play in a single tournament that was considered. My DD currently plays for a team that was top 200 in 14u for 2018 (2023 05 playing up). We lost 1-0 to a top 30 team in 12u for 2018 in Nov in Atlanta
I'm fine with being top 200. But last year the 14u team run ruled a top 100 team so again, it's all about how much you played in PGF or those Elite Select stuff.
IMO Mojo was the best 23 team last year since they won PGF.
I will also say that playing in the tournaments all these top teams are at helps you get better. I've noticed that the teams that dominate locally have a hard time the rare times they do venture out into these types of tournaments. While the teams they can beat locally who do challenge themselves are doing better. Alot of orgs are too focused on trophies.

It's a good list but don't get too caught up in it one way or another.
My DD's team at 14U was in the top 35.. were in PA. And we lost to some teams who were ranked in the 50's . We also beat teams in the top 20. But the ranking is the best they can do given that it's hard to match them up when not all teams play one another.
I will say that we rolled local teams but when we played top level So Cal teams it wasn't even close. They are on a different level.

Jan 7, 2019
I am not sure which team you're on but I can assume the org you are on and I can say the team we played this fall and watched in ATL was the best in the Northeast. I would guess you are on the older team. But to touch on what I was talking about, there is a team by you (2022) that plays a local schedule that I bet could give you a run for your money but how would they stack up vs the Bolts or some of the national teams you've played? I don't think they would be ready. I think you have to be willing to risk getting beat if you wanna get better and most of the Northeast teams aren't.

Apr 28, 2014
I am not sure which team you're on but I can assume the org you are on and I can say the team we played this fall and watched in ATL was the best in the Northeast. I would guess you are on the older team. But to touch on what I was talking about, there is a team by you (2022) that plays a local schedule that I bet could give you a run for your money but how would they stack up vs the Bolts or some of the national teams you've played? I don't think they would be ready. I think you have to be willing to risk getting beat if you wanna get better and most of the Northeast teams aren't.

Our first game against a big league team was against Glory Adkins at 14s That was last fall. We watched them warm up and thought we could hang.
The only hanging was them hanging up 15 on us. There were 8-9 SEC schools there to watch them and they didn't disappoint. They took us to the woodshed. Fast forward to the Summer and we beat them. Now I will say until kids and parents see that level team they have no idea.
We played the best of the best from So Cal in Colorado this past summer. By then our pitchers were throwing their top speeds and 2 of 3 were over 60 with the other just about there. Mercado's A's were the very best we played. Better than the OC batbusters. We played the Beverly Bandidts and they were a close 3rd. Watching the game with talent like they have on those teams is something special and changes your perspective on youth softball. People always say "Why do you travel out west or down south to play ball" Well until you see it it's hard to understand. Kids need to see other kids their own age at a very high level. Taking them to college games doesn't connect. They need to see that level of talent and face that level of talent to become better. After that fall game versus Glory Adkins we had a lot of kids and families looking in the mirror and it helped them understand what they needed to do. Every girl got better.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
I remember hearing how the SE teams might think they were good but they needed to go to CA and see some real softball. I only follow DD's age group, so this was when she was in 2nd year 10U. A decent number of GA/AL/TN teams went out to CA or PGF Nationals, and a team from TN took 1st place and a team from AL took 2nd. Take that, California. ;)

Apr 6, 2017
Not many A around here. The mix of B and C level are pretty
messed up from what I’ve seen lately around here.

Feb 3, 2016
I remember hearing how the SE teams might think they were good but they needed to go to CA and see some real softball. I only follow DD's age group, so this was when she was in 2nd year 10U. A decent number of GA/AL/TN teams went out to CA or PGF Nationals, and a team from TN took 1st place and a team from AL took 2nd. Take that, California. ;)
FURY 2024?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
FURY 2024?

That's the one. They're the same age as my DD and I watched them all through that year. Not counting when they played up in 12U they were undefeated all year. It was amazing to watch. I always said I'd love to be a fly on the wall at their practices, and in the dugout. Of course a big part of it is they attract top talent, but lots of teams around here have a lot of talent. To go a whole year without a loss is really something. Then to go win it all in CA. Very impressive. They're the Diamond Hotshots now. They haven't lost many games this year so far, and I betcha they've all been playing up. I follow 06 softball like some people follow the MLB. lol

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Our first game against a big league team was against Glory Adkins at 14s That was last fall. We watched them warm up and thought we could hang.
The only hanging was them hanging up 15 on us. There were 8-9 SEC schools there to watch them and they didn't disappoint. They took us to the woodshed. Fast forward to the Summer and we beat them. Now I will say until kids and parents see that level team they have no idea.
We played the best of the best from So Cal in Colorado this past summer. By then our pitchers were throwing their top speeds and 2 of 3 were over 60 with the other just about there. Mercado's A's were the very best we played. Better than the OC batbusters. We played the Beverly Bandidts and they were a close 3rd. Watching the game with talent like they have on those teams is something special and changes your perspective on youth softball. People always say "Why do you travel out west or down south to play ball" Well until you see it it's hard to understand. Kids need to see other kids their own age at a very high level. Taking them to college games doesn't connect. They need to see that level of talent and face that level of talent to become better. After that fall game versus Glory Adkins we had a lot of kids and families looking in the mirror and it helped them understand what they needed to do. Every girl got better.

This is long and rambly-I apologize. My espresso is kicking in.

This a pretty good synopsis of high level softball. The rankings methodology for the 18U division is a 3 year rolling average. For a team to be considered, they can't be a one and done team. There has to be some history and staying power. DD's team doesn't travel in the fall and only travels to 3 of the major tourneys in the summer yet they are ranked...although they have been slipping. We play enough top 10 teams in the Texas area that doesn't require the travel. There are some teams we can compete with, but other teams just have our number every time we play them.

Our first time to Colorado IDT was eye opening at the talent that abounds across the country in places that I didn't think were fastpitch hotbeds. Talent is not relegated to Ca, Tx, Fl, GA. It is everywhere! I think the key difference is that some of the teams can recruit ALL of the best kids in their state and surrounding states. So the talent is not as diluted. Just think if there was one team in the Houston area that could claim the VERY best talent. That team would be dominant. But there are 7 or 8 key teams that kids bounce around. Impact Gold, Aces Express, ScrapYard, Tx Bombers, Diamond Hotshots, Cy Fair Intruders, Tx Storm, Firecrackers etc. Then you have DFW area with Tx Glory, Tx Glory Adkins, Vision, Excel, Rapid Fire. Then don't forget Austin/SA area. Tx Blaze, Bombers, Impact Gold.

When you face team like Rhode Island Thunder, Louisville Lady Sluggers, TC Stars, NW Bullets and they have solid D1 talent you are left amazed and also proud that this sport doesn't know where you live and will reward you for hard work.

As your DD approaches 14U and above and they want to play in college, it does them no good by whipping up on inferior teams if no one is watching. Yes they get trophies, and it makes everyone feel good. I have a real good friend whose team is very good and rarely lose but they play in these podunk nowhereville tournaments with no one watching. However they played in TCS Nats in Atlanta last summer and they won one game. The parents were stunned.

If your team plays in the Sparkler or Fireworks you want to be in the Power Pool or at minimum the Supplemental Power Pool. If not, Boulder IDT is THE tourney to get in. Yes, I am biased, since that is my favorite tourney EVER. There is a local team that we beat every time we play them. They finished really high in the Power Pool last year which boost their club rankings. Whereas we laid an egg at IDT. They received more points, but who played harder competition? In reality all of these team would be considered Gold teams.

Maybe we need to discuss the differentiation between Gold, A, B, C-All Stars.

Gold-You have to qualify or be invited to the high level tourney
A-You are not quite at gold status-but do well against most teams
B-You would get demolished vs all Gold teams, but might beat an A team on occasion. You have one year out of All stars.
C-This is reserved for All Star teams only.

Feb 3, 2016
That's the one. They're the same age as my DD and I watched them all through that year. Not counting when they played up in 12U they were undefeated all year. It was amazing to watch. I always said I'd love to be a fly on the wall at their practices, and in the dugout. Of course a big part of it is they attract top talent, but lots of teams around here have a lot of talent. To go a whole year without a loss is really something. Then to go win it all in CA. Very impressive. They're the Diamond Hotshots now. They haven't lost many games this year so far, and I betcha they've all been playing up. I follow 06 softball like some people follow the MLB. lol
I watched every FURY game I could find on YouTube. 81-2!
Even contacted one of the only teams in the country that beat them in 12u to discuss that win. Youngest verbal player ever was the catcher. DD played against her in Florida. A different level of play and I'm a fan here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13