How Far Should Balls Hit Off of a Tee Go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Passing what I have been reading and working on. I am borrowing from other posters. Maybe something I throw out there will help?

Abduction ... from a position in which the rear leg has been coiled.

Take note of the first pause in the GIF below ... going into that pause you see the rear leg abducting & uncoiling ***AS*** the hands are drawn back into a strong punch-like orientation ... in a sense the drawing rearward of the hands is maintaining a coiling of the upper body, despite an uncoiling of the lower body.
ACraig_1Bview_launch.gif

What you see and can feel in this clip is the hip coil pull on the back foot (digs it in more) and then you see the transitional (transfer) change of pressure in the foot from being pulled on by the coil to a pushed into from the inside of the foot.

THAT IS THE SWING. THAT IS THE TIMING. THAT CAUSES THE STRIDE.

seytec.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Is this a good example of "loading around"?
A little tip to get the feel, until you can flow to it, is to get the rear hip joint I/Red AS you get into your stance. You can pigeon toe your rear foot some to get the feeling without turning your shoulders too far. Put your back foot in the box while keeping your Pelvis open to the Pitcher. Slowly start to shift your weight over your back leg and just to the inside of the rear foot. Then, turn your entire torso and everthing else around the ball of your rear Femur until you feel the joint start to tighten up, it should be around the time your front hip points at the Pitcher. Once you feel that tightness, you can keep turning an your rear leg will try to turn away from the Pitcher. That, is coiling AROUND the rear hip.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
'Loading around' begins with 'the feel' of the rear hip loading around the rear leg ... as opposed to 'into' the rear leg. In other words, the load has a rotational component to it ... and that rotational component will lead to the stretch having a rotational component ... which is why some speak of the body being coiled.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
put your legs together.........And do this a few times.......COIL TO SHIFT..........Don't Stride to Shift:
2rfsduh.gif

IOW....Get your rear rear-cheek moving toward the 2nd baseman FIRST.......Don't just "turn it toward (2nd base) him and spread your legs"..........

Imagine Babe on a train that's just taken off:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Of course the problem becomes how do you stop turing your rear away from the target.........And get it turning toward the target into plant mid-stride..........IE running start into plant..........

A carefull study of this clip will show that it isn't the rear knee driving the hips...........

2rfsduh.gif

Notice the Babe's back foot is pointing 10 degrees open to START his swing........Hmmmmm.......Wonder why that is??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie