How far do you want to be away from home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Howard Carrier told me this years ago while I was watching a lesson.

He said get a map of the U.S.
Give your daughter a compass and draw a circle, for how far do you want to be away from home. That is her playing, you watching, holiday breaks, getting a home cooked meal, home sick, ect.
Then visit college in that radius that appeal to you.

Just thought I would share his expertise.

Straightleg

ps. my daughter came home quite a bit her freshman year. She was 2 hours away. Takes awhile for most to get used to it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have always said it is a process of elimination, not selection. The easiest place to start is with geographic location. When my DD was a Sophomore she wanted to be far from home and was really hoping for University of Alaska. :) Ended up 4 hours away in the Florida Panhandle and soon realized that was more than far enough away. Now she is in Columbia SC which is 6 hours and probably the outer edge of her comfort zone.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I was a 24 hour plane flight away from home when I went to college (I went to a college in Michigan, I grew up in Western Australia). Hadn't even stepped on campus or seen snow in my lifetime. I hadn't even heard of my college up until 4 months before I started class. (Basketball coach who had recruited me on our West Coast team trips got a head coaching job and needed players so gave me a call - long story). It was tough - I only went back home 3 times in 4 years and my parents never saw me play live (we did get some VHS tapes converted and sent back).

So I did it a little differently to how I expect my DD will do it which is more likely to be as everyone has said.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Impressive. Must have had some serious grit in your character.

I just wanted to play basketball and get a degree in my desired field. Basketball got me through everything tough.

I think it was also different for me over the traditional USA college player because I *couldn't* go home. That wasn't an option that existed.

Feb 7, 2013
I would hope that parents wouldn't put geographical limits on their adult children.. Once they are 18, you need to start letting go and let them be adults. I live in CA and if my DD wanted to go to college in Boston, I would support her decision 100%.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I would hope that parents wouldn't put geographical limits on their adult children.. Once they are 18, you need to start letting go and let them be adults. I live in CA and if my DD wanted to go to college in Boston, I would support her decision 100%.

No real argument here. Just noting that IME it is important to recognize in advance that there are almost guaranteed to be times, sports-related or not, where a trip home or parental visit on short notice will be a real priority and logistical/financiall limitations potentially can come into play. A 2-hr trip in the car for my DDs is much more manageable than the 6 hr flight and ride for my DS.

Feb 12, 2014
It's funny how things have changed so much since the early 90's when I went to college. It was just an hour away from home, but it was a long distance phone call which made all the difference in the world. There was no video chatting or social media. Heck, few people even had email! I could see my daughter being 4 or 6 hours away and still be way more connected to home than I was just an hour away a generation ago.

Jun 12, 2015

I agree. I do hope mine choose to stay close to home, and really they are somewhat limited by finances. Out of state tuition is probably not going to happen so if they want to go out of state they need to have a plan for that. It's their lives though, they get to decide how to live them. At 18 you can really only hope you've done a good job teaching them how to make good decisions. Unless you're one of these parents.

20 Children Of Helicopter Parents Were Asked: 'What Was The Worst Thing They Put You Through?'

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32