How do you time home to first?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2018
I’m just trying to figure out how to accurately time the home to first running speed. Do you have a track start? Hit off a tee and run? Or front toss? If someone can give me some tips I would appreciate it. I just want to make sure my times are consistent.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Only meaningful way is during an actual game with a video by taking the number of frames from impact of ball to bat, and then foot to bag divided by the frame rate. Same for pop times. Other methods like using a stop watch is only relevant to the actual session. Even though your times may be consistent they cannot be compared with times collected by others.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
I’m just trying to figure out how to accurately time the home to first running speed. Do you have a track start? Hit off a tee and run? Or front toss? If someone can give me some tips I would appreciate it. I just want to make sure my times are consistent.
Just do a 20 yard dash. What age and what are you doing it for? If you just want to figure out which girls are the fastest on your team hand-time them in a 20 yard dash.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2015

I am expecting this to go the way of pitchers parents and most everyone's kids runs a 2.5.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW

What are you going to use it for?

comparing to other teams etc probably won't have much value.

For yourself....as above time in 20 yard dash is a easy way.

For our team we start with one foot touching home and in the left batters box. We time girls but also count their strides. We try to get them to take strides off in getting to 1st. So if you take 13 can you get there in 12 steps? That seems to work better than cutting down time. Credit: Kirk Walker @ UCLA for that one.

Aug 20, 2018
Its 14u and I only intend on using the information for internal use. Firstly to see who is the fastest on the team out of the box, but also to track improvement as we workout and prepare for our first games in about a month. I don't even plan on letting the girls know their times. I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter how I time it. I've just read recruiting posts and they talk about Home-First times so I wanted it to be consistent with how they time.

I will do the stride count thing too.

Thanks!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't even plan on letting the girls know their times.

Good luck with that. As soon as you start measuring how far, how fast, how many points, etc., it's a competition. Competitors want to know how they did, even if they are only competing against themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom