How do you throw a RISEBALL?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
how many times are going to beat this poor horse? physics shows the true actual path of the ball, the brains' perception of this path is different.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Actually in the context of a late breaking pitch, a statistical model was presented in another thread where the trajectory was plotted over time showing that a pitch can indeed have a late break. There was significantly more movement in the last 25% of the time of flight when compare to the middle 50%.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I proved the Reynolds effect. I wrapped
A ball in aluminum foil and my radar gun measured 2 mph faster consistently. Now I just need to catch some butterfly's and a Magnus to publish my unified pitching effect theory.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Here is all I need to know about a riseball break. Escobedo Kd 16 and then 14 ( I think) batters on one of the best offensive teams in the nation over the weekend, using it has her go to. They knew it was coming, they still swung and missed. Call it late break, optical illusion, peyote in the Gatorade, I don't care. The pitch is deadly and fun to watch.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I proved the Reynolds effect. I wrapped
A ball in aluminum foil and my radar gun measured 2 mph faster consistently. Now I just need to catch some butterfly's and a Magnus to publish my unified pitching effect theory.

Just be sure to include video, statistical proof, plotted profiles, and a note from the Pope for proper consideration. :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't think it's that simple:
1. I don't have a high-speed camera
2. Side view will not confirm my claim of late break away from rightie batter

Check the post at 10:59 by FFS. He changed the context of his comments from a late breaking pitch to a riseball with a sudden upward trajectory.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Actually in the context of a late breaking pitch, a statistical model was presented in another thread where the trajectory was plotted over time showing that a pitch can indeed have a late break. There was significantly more movement in the last 25% of the time of flight when compare to the middle 50%.

An ideal riseball profile will vertically flatten out as it approaches the plate.

Today video cameras are fairly common place. People have them in their cell phones. The point being that it isn't overly difficult to capture a side-view of a rise-ball pitch.

Of course, there is this theory, that the pitch is thrown in such a magical manner, that it can detect the presence of a bat and jump over it .... but that is only half of the magic ..... the other magical component of this pitch is that it can detect the presence of a video camera, at which point the magic shuts off.

Dec 7, 2011
how many times are going to beat this poor horse? physics shows the true actual path of the ball, the brains' perception of this path is different.

Cuz the belligerent horse aint dead yet Colin! :cool:

Sorry if this is crossing that line again. But I can't stand BAD science. It's a flaw of my doctorate father,..who helped disprove global warming (happy to address any mainstream misconception any of you may have on this – privately),… and it’s now a flaw of mine in trying to have folks think outside the realm of bad statistical data and attempts to improperly simplify a VERY complex equation of forces induced on a non-smooth rotating ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach