How do you throw a RISEBALL?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
An ideal riseball profile will vertically flatten out as it approaches the plate...

Ok. So you are on board with the concept of a late break. We are making progress. Pulled this from a different thread. I am sure that there is no way, even using relaxed open focus that you can interpret the following as anything but statistical evidence of a late break.

Thomas-1424-1425-zt.jpg

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
FFS, vertically flatten out? If it is a riseball it is still climbing as it is going past the hitter. You must be at 12U games for your observations.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ok. So you are on board with the concept of a late break. We are making progress. Pulled this from a different thread. I am sure that there is no way, even using relaxed open focus that you can interpret the following as anything but statistical evidence of a late break.

View attachment 5505

I view the profiles here as being 'smooth'. The curve drawn in 'black' flattens more as it approaches the batter than does the curve drawn in 'red'. It is has more of a 'riseball' type profile.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
An ideal riseball profile will vertically flatten out as it approaches the plate.

Today video cameras are fairly common place. People have them in their cell phones. The point being that it isn't overly difficult to capture a side-view of a rise-ball pitch.

Of course, there is this theory, that the pitch is thrown in such a magical manner, that it can detect the presence of a bat and jump over it .... but that is only half of the magic ..... the other magical component of this pitch is that it can detect the presence of a video camera, at which point the magic shuts off.

I like this conclusion. We can call it the Heisenberg Riseball uncertainty principle.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS, vertically flatten out? If it is a riseball it is still climbing as it is going past the hitter. You must be at 12U games for your observations.

No .... not 12U games ... but nice attempt at a diversion.

It is very difficult to throw a riseball that is "still vertically climbing" AND be thrown for a strike.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I view the profiles here as being 'smooth'. The curve drawn in 'black' flattens more as it approaches the batter than does the curve drawn in 'red'. It is has more of a 'riseball' type profile.

So a pitch that stays within about 3" through the middle 50% of the trajectory and then drops a good 7" in the last 25% is smooth? Looks like a late breaking dropball to me.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So a pitch that stays within about 3" through the middle 50% of the trajectory and then drops a good 7" in the last 25% is smooth? Looks like a late breaking dropball to me.

Correct, the profile has a smooth transition.

FYI ... batter's don't start looking at a pitch from where it peaks .... but MUCH earlier than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01