How do you throw a RISEBALL?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Posture is about 10-15% of the reason for effectiveness. Best to have about 7-8 degrees spine tilt at time of release....this helps with throwing an upward trajectory (lowers the release point).
The action of the wrist/fingers is about 85-90% of the reason for effectiveness. ....let the posture and wrist/fingers do the work.

Rick, does Sarah intentionally try to spin the ball backwards with her thumb and fingers? It doesn't look like the "turn the knob" action typically described.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Someday my 10U DD will hopefully get to a place where her PC and I will get her working on a "Drops Less Ball" (abbreviation: DLB); or at least that's what I'm gonna call it...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The "reality" is that my DD has not racked up 183K's this season throwing a pitch that does not move. Yes, there are a bunch of pitchers throwing the Wunderpitch, but the vast majority of are getting hammered. The "reality" is that the best riseball pitchers in the game do not throw bulletspin.

My version of reality is a bit different. I believe high pitch speeds make up for having a high degree of bullet-spin.

Daniel Lawrie .....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The faster the pitch speed, the more the pitcher can get away with bullet-spin.

If you are throwing pitches with pure bullet-spin then spin-rate isn't a key factor.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The faster the pitch speed, the more the pitcher can get away with bullet-spin.

If you are throwing pitches with pure bullet-spin then spin-rate isn't a key factor.

True. Because no matter how fast the spin any movement is nominal at best. But I will take great movement over a flat pitch any day.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My interpretation of Ihowser's question is that he wishes to avoid the common pitfall that happens when a pitcher attempts to impart a riseball spin by using their wrist to obtain that spin. He understands that using the wrist out of sequence, and forgetting that the wrist is primarily a hinge, can result in a loss of speed. He is further asking for what is considered the proper action to achieve backspin ... which for many will result in a high degree of bullet-spin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01