How do Softball players stack up in other sports?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 28, 2008
My feeling has always been that softball players are the best athletes in the world. And that you could even blind fold them and they could compete in other sports.

So I did just that, I blindfolded players on my team and just let the catcher provide instruction. It took a few minutes, but they still scored the goal. And provided me with lots of free entertainment in the process. That of course I'm happy to share to put a smile on your faces as well.

Purpose of the drill was to work on COMMUNICATIONS. If you don't have your sight, and have to rely only on the catcher's vocal commands, she has to learn how to communicate better and you have to learn how to stop assuming and TRUST that her commands will help you succeed.

Blindfolded Soccer? That's just crazy! - YouTube

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
OH no, softball players should never play other sports, a top travel ball coach might hear that they played volleyball at a party once and ban them from his team. And without the singular dedication of playing one sport 12 months of the year with every 3rd sunday off will ruin a parents, I mean childs dream of playing softball at Podunk U. I hope you realize the damage you did to these girls lives by not only encouraging them to play other sports, but you also documented it here for all the top coaches in the world to see and therefore you have ruined their chances of ever playing in college. OMG I watched the clip, they were laughing and it seemed having fun, don't you know how serious this all is. Now that the world knows they are not 1000% (yes thats 1 thousand percent) serious about softball, they are ruined. <sarcasm>

I hope I didn't need to put the sarcasm note there, but I was afraid too many people would start agreeing with me.

Softball attracts some great athletes. My dds travel team has I think only 1 player who plays only softball. About half of the them play 2 sports and the rest 3. On the HS varsity team there are maybe 4 who only play softball and they are in the bottom half of the team when it comes to fielding and athleticism.

Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
From personal experience, the girls on my team who are the most athletic are the girls who play two sports. I have 2- two sport athletes on my team, both girls play soccer. They are very agile and quick to move to the ball.

Apr 1, 2010
I think gymnasts are usually the best athletes. They have to have incredible strength, good endurance and total control of their bodies.

I do believe that kids who play a sport are better at other sports than kids who are not active. I know DD and other kids who are active in various sports generally stand out in PE class, no matter what the activity is on a given day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid