How do I Score a Collision??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
CoogansBluff/All-
In this case, I feel that if the RF had been un-interrupted this would have been a fairly routine F9 and batter would have been out. Sad part of this is that 2nd caused the collision. From what I am reading here, seems the error would have been on RF.

Here's my perspective on these: Who calls who off in this scenario? When I have a team, I practice this with the F3, F4, and F9, and I teach them that F4 is to go all out for the ball until they hear F9 or F3 call her off. F9 has responsibility for making the call since she has a better angle to see both ball and F4/F3. If F9 didn't call her off, then I don't blame F4 one bit for still going for the ball. In my book, for my teams, I would score the E on F9, not F4. So this just depends on how your girls are coached on this scenario.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here's my perspective on these: Who calls who off in this scenario? When I have a team, I practice this with the F3, F4, and F9, and I teach them that F4 is to go all out for the ball until they hear F9 or F3 call her off. F9 has responsibility for making the call since she has a better angle to see both ball and F4/F3. If F9 didn't call her off, then I don't blame F4 one bit for still going for the ball. In my book, for my teams, I would score the E on F9, not F4. So this just depends on how your girls are coached on this scenario.

I agree w/ how you coach your defense. But it is outside the jurisdiction of the scorekeeper to make those determinations in assigning hits and errors, IMO. For example, if there is a bunt, and the second baseman fails to cover on what would've been an easy out, it's a hit. No error on the second baseman. A mistake, yes, but a fielding error, no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32