How do I Score a Collision??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Need to know how to score the following.

Batter-runner makes contact on pitch and drops ball into shallow right field, behind first base. Right fielder and second baseman collide in pursuit of the ball. Ball drops untouched into the hole in right field behind first base. Batter-runner cleared first before ball dropped. I was coaching first and sent her to second as I saw it was dropping due to the collision.

Result:
Runner on 2nd
Ump called time
Injuries were evaluated
Right field went to bench

Question: Is this an error and no hit for the batter?
or
Is this a hit since there was no contact with a fielder's glove?
or
Is this automatically an error due to the collision?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Is this a hit since there was no contact with a fielder's glove?

It's a double, but no contact with a glove does not rule out the possibility of error. If a ground ball goes untouched between a fielder's legs, that can be ruled an error. If a fielder is in good position to catch a fly ball (or any ball, for that matter) and simply whiffs, that can be ruled an error.

Is this automatically an error due to the collision?

Collisions are not considered fielding errors.

Mar 26, 2013
There is a case where an error is charged on a collision.

14.21.7 An error is charged to a defensive player who collides with a fielder making the initial catch on a fly ball that is dropped.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
There is a case where an error is charged on a collision.

14.21.7 An error is charged to a defensive player who collides with a fielder making the initial catch on a fly ball that is dropped.

Thanks. But I don't understand what it's saying. So if the CF is camped under the ball and the RF runs into the CF, then that's an error on the RF?

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
VA Chris,
I liked that you posted the question because my oldest was in the exact same spot just a few weeks ago. Hit a high but shallow outfield fly that neither the SS or the CF tracked quite right and they collided without either touching the ball. When they hit the grass she advanced to second. Coach gave her a single and I wondered what the right call would be.